Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acoustic Solutions for Warehouse Raves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

Depending on the size of the space (and more importantly distance from the speakers) you can, to a certain extent, drown out reverberation with stupid levels of SPL.

Not because the reverberation actually goes away, but the high SPL raises the lower bound of sensitivity of people's hearing, to the extent that the reverberation is much less heard. 

Works in basements etc. but perhaps not so practical/achievable in a large space. 

I’ve read some codswallop on this site over he years - hell, I’ve posted my fair share - but this one is up in the hall of fame.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

It is actually quite common down here to have events in big horrible sports centers, or "frontons", that can be a nightmare. I've literally seen touring engineers tearing out their hair when faced with the mess you can get.

After visiting 60 peña in 10 hours, then a midnight bullrun, who cares about the sound system at the after party? LOL
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:31am

Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Fill the place with punters and point the system so to minimise sound hitting hard surfaces, could try cardiod subs or array to minimise spill,  also consider setting up so as to point system across the diagonal of the space.

Originally posted by King George King George wrote:

Point the speakers at the people.
Don't point the speakers at the walls and ceiling. 
Don't take any drugs until you have finished pointing the speakers. 

😂😂😂 He means TRY no to take any drugs before you finish set up... Try!!

Edited by mini-mad - 10 October 2021 at 10:31am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Depending on the size of the space (and more importantly distance from the speakers) you can, to a certain extent, drown out reverberation with stupid levels of SPL.

Not because the reverberation actually goes away, but the high SPL raises the lower bound of sensitivity of people's hearing, to the extent that the reverberation is much less heard. 

Works in basements etc. but perhaps not so practical/achievable in a large space. 

I’ve read some codswallop on this site over he years - hell, I’ve posted my fair share - but this one is up in the hall of fame.

Which bit is incorrect? 

high SPL raises the lower bound of sensitivity of people's hearing

In the optical domain, this principal is known as glare.
Reflected sound decays with distance, in accordance with inverse square law.
At some point the two lines cross.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 11 October 2021 at 12:59pm
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 1:01pm

Which bit is incorrect? 

In my experience all it does is cross the threshold of SPL required to distort peoples ears and an echoic mess turns in to a echoic distorted mess. 

I think the real answer seems kind of obvious but based on some of the pics I see, not always implemented. Point the system at the crowd, not the ceiling or walls... 
https://www.facebook.com/voyager.system

@voyager_soundsystem
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 1:49pm
Another thing that can be done is to add some delays around where the reverberant field is starting to dominate thereby keeping the audience within the nearfield of the speaker system as much as possible.
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Which bit is incorrect? 

In my experience all it does is cross the threshold of SPL required to distort peoples ears and an echoic mess turns in to a echoic distorted mess. 

I think the real answer seems kind of obvious but based on some of the pics I see, not always implemented. Point the system at the crowd, not the ceiling or walls... 

Don't disagree with any of that, a packed out venue with well direct speakers is absolutely the first priority! If using FLH, coupling with vertical stacks can help reduce horizontal dispersion, just like a line array, directing the sound more towards the audience than the walls. Smile 

I have found it's possible though, with the right balance of bass frequencies and amplitude, to reduce the 'boominess' of reverberation to a much more acceptable level without driving peoples ears into the pulsing/clipping effect you describe. It does therefore depend on music genre - it works best with long, sustained, low basslines; not so much with kick heavy beats. 

A little compression carefully applied on the sub channels can also help to reduce pulsing effects - essentially reducing the dynamic range of the sound, to match peoples ears, for a given SPL - but obviously make damn sure you know what your speakers can handle if you do that!

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 11 October 2021 at 6:40pm
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 10:40am
even the pisstake answers to your question are pretty good answers haha

remember to put your subs together :)

check out the db arraycalc to mess about with placement / spaces / acoustics - will give you an idea of things

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by teeth teeth wrote:

even the pisstake answers to your question are pretty good answers haha

remember to put your subs together :)

check out the db arraycalc to mess about with placement / spaces / acoustics - will give you an idea of things

ArrayCalc (and every other manufacturer’s software) does not take into account walls or other boundaries such as the subs themselves. The model is based on a theoretical point source with a shaped response via balloon data and only displays free-field direct sound coverage. It does not do ‘acoustics’ but is used for aiming of their array systems. Hence the name. Think of it as a pretty calculator.

It will not do anything with regard to the accurate response of reflected sound, let alone propagation through walls to the outside of a barn. It also only has data for their cabinets, and even choosing a box of equivalent size and stated coverage angles or output will not tell you how your own speakers will behave.

For the former, you need geometric acoustics software. The cheapest option is AFMG EASE, starting at a few grand for the Jr license. That's only appropriate with suitable training, and accurate anechoic 3D radiation data for your speakers. Plus accurate CAD for the venue, including material makeup.

Render times will vary, but without the AURA add-on, you can expect it to take several hours for a plot to be calculated.

Even then, it only covers 100 Hz to 10 kHz, and doesn't do transmission through boundaries.

The thing is, this is an acoustics problem. There's a good reason why acoustics is considered to be one of the hardest things to study, with a lot of intensive calculus. That also justifies the cost of consultants and their tools.

Edited by toastyghost - 18 October 2021 at 12:38pm
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2021 at 10:36am
This is the Bunnings jobo FYI:

Fixes up the delay off the back wall from this

Edited by vertx - 21 October 2021 at 10:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12