Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oberton 8nm250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oberton 8nm250
    Posted: 23 November 2021 at 9:25pm
Been offered some oberton 8nm250 for the right money. 

Anyone used them? Opinions? 

Was hoping to make some 8+1 or double 8+1 tops with them. 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2021 at 12:24pm
ASSuming that it's similar to the v2 model currently on Oberton's website, I don't think that'd be great in a 2 way box.

Qts, Vas and Xmax are all a bit low, which means it's more of a midrange-only proposition IMO.

Haven't used, or even properly modelled them though, so if others have more direct experience then I'm happy to be proved wrong.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2021 at 3:02pm
I dont have any direct experience of the driver, but looking at the v2 model on the Oberton website it would make a good driver for a dedicated midrange application.

It has a 2.5 inch diameter coil which is big for an 8" driver (ie high power handling), and the efficiency is high.

I briefly compared it to other 8" drivers from Beyma and B+C, and I would have said that it was comparable to their high-end products.

It seems to be only available in a 16 Ohm version.

So 2 x 8" plus 1" would make a nominal 8 Ohm box which seems sensible, and make it easy to parallel up a pair of boxes off a channel of an amp (4 Ohms) if needed.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:29pm
Maybe it could be a good candidate for a ported frontloaded horn, such as  community rs220 or sls920 style? 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:07pm
Interesting. On the oberton website it says direct radiating and horn loaded so seems you're all on the money. 

I'll sim them up and see what they look like. Suspect as you say they'll be good as a dedicated midrange but lacking for a 8+1 top. Maybe i should get them and build a 12+8+1...
 Post Reply Post Reply