Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mono and stereo confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leowood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mono and stereo confusion
    Posted: 02 December 2021 at 10:25pm
I am building my first reggae sound system and now at the stage of installing drivers and buying amps.
as it will be in mono and my amps are stereo or bridge do I split the mono into two cables to go into the amp or use bridge mode and wire the speakers in parallel decreasing the ohms???
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 10:30pm
If you’re wanting to use two channels of the amp (‘stereo’) to play the same thing I always just have xlr splitters to hand. 
leowood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leowood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 10:32pm
Thank you, and they are used inbetween  the crossover and the power amp? 
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2021 at 10:41pm
If youve got a PARALEL -mono switch on your amps , you just one wire into the amp and it sends it to the other input ,this is the same as a Y -split  lead ( 1 in 2 out)
BRIDGE -mono is a whole different thing ,where you wire the speakers across chan1 +  to chan2 + (no -)
If an amp is used in BRIDGE  its minimum speaker impedance is twice that  of non BRIDGE ( if it was 4 ohms stereo it is now 8 ohms minimum bridge ) Bridge can be useful but is quite unnecessary ,there is no real advantage.   how many speakers do you want to connect ? what speakers and what amp/s?
So maybe just use a Y split lead

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 02 December 2021 at 10:47pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2021 at 8:37am
Many modern amps will have dual inputs on each channel (sometimes one XLR and one 1/4" jack), you can go into one, and link out of the other. This is much neater when using lots of amps with the same input, than having multiple cable splits.

And yes, if you choose to use xlr splitters, they would go between the crossover and amplifier.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
leowood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leowood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2021 at 8:45am
Hello there. Thanks for your explanation. It’s a five way stack with 2 sub 2 bass 2mid 2 horn and 4 tweeters but just two inputs s for those I’m using wax and crown amps and for the sub there will be one numark amp for each speaker.
So for the other speaker I should use a splitter and treat it as if it was in stereo. That works well as I have bought most of my amps with that in mind. 

Thank you.
leowood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leowood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2021 at 8:48am
Yes I’ve seen that on a few of my amps 
By linking them do you mean having your input into say the xlr on the left channel and the unused input would like over to the right channel input with a short cable?
Thanks
jeff generik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff generik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2021 at 11:18pm
If you want to run your system in mono in one big stack I would have thought you want to run a mono feed from your mixer into a four way crossover and parallel input amps or even use a different bandwidth feed on the same amp, try your best to avoid bridge mode less chance of loosing all one bandwidth at a gig if something decides to go pop!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2021 at 10:27am
Apparently the OP is still grappling with basic terminology and concepts......

In order to get useful advice, please list all your equipment from source to amplifiers

Your SOURCE (turntable, cd player, DAC output ) is most probably stereo. 
The music has been mixed for stereo playback with a pair of spaced loudspeakers for best effect. Playing music to a crowd, you have a few options: 1) play back a STEREO SIGNAL with two separate speakers/stacks ("true stereo")
2) play back a STEREO SIGNAL with all loudspeakers stacked in one MONO STACK
3) play back a MONO SIGNAL with a MONO STACK
4) any other combination, with mono or stereo delay/fill speakers, or even crazier

The stereo/mono modes on amplifiers are just terminology. In a bigger  system you might use multiple amps running each in parallel or bridge mono on their own, but forming a stereo system together. 

To play in mono from a stereo source, the signal needs to be summed to mono. That can be done in a mixer, a reggae preamp, or a loudspeaker management/dsp processor such as the behringer dcx 2496 or equivalent.

You need to decide for yourself what you want to do and how. Apparently you want to have a mono stack. Do you want to play back a mono or stereo signal? If you want mono, in which part of your signal chain do you do the summing? 

Edited by bob4 - 11 December 2021 at 10:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply