Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know anything about these ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know anything about these ?
    Posted: 13 January 2022 at 7:03pm
.... or the company that made/sold em.

Could be quite the thing for a battery-power rig ....

All I could find out about the "HZ" company is that they went bust in 2004. There's an outfit called "Hertz" who do car audio - not sure if there's any connection.

Also - are "The Audio Works" OK to deal with ?

TIA
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 9:49pm
I’d probably try give the number at the bottom of the page a call! The website has no recent products listed that I could see so could be a stagnant website. 
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:10pm
EV was one of the first with plastic cabs followed by Ramsa, HZ came along after. Someone has some tops on the bay..... 
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

.... or the company that made/sold em.

Could be quite the thing for a battery-power rig ....

All I could find out about the "HZ" company is that they went bust in 2004. There's an outfit called "Hertz" who do car audio - not sure if there's any connection.

Also - are "The Audio Works" OK to deal with ?

TIA

Dave Roberts had a workshop 5 minutes from me here in Bristol and ran
the company in the latter days.

They changed premises many times, but always in and about Bristol and
Somerset.

Smallish plastic 18 inch bandpass bass bins were their forte but always
(to me) sounded very one note; they normally used a driver with a dual
voice coil to make operating with a single bin easier, running a stereo
amp into one box one channel to each coil..

Had some cheapish 12" full-range boxes that had to be stand-mounted
since the ports pointed down through the bottom of the cab; IIRC they
used (going back a few years here, my memory may be playing tricks)
'leaf' tweeters from a company in Brazil. The 12" boxes were very popular
with local karaoke operators.

If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:47pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 11:00am
They bring back some memories of the 1970s for me when Dave Roberts used to come in our shop in Wolverhampton as a freelance rep selling various musical lines.
We always got on great with Dave as he was always friendly and a happy little guy. We bought a few bits and pieces from him at various times but avoided the plastic cabinet scene as everyone was into HH, Peavey and Carlsbro back then.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:24pm
In the village i grew up the local electronics shop sold domestic Tannoy but he also fitted tannoys in local pubs. hence we were  quite lucky soundwise. mid-nineties tannoy got quite expensive so he started with Hz as the budget solution. i think there are still 4 pubs runiing Hz He200's over here. soundwise nothing special but i rate them above the usual EV and Ramsa when it comes to early plastic cabs due to sheer indestructible. 
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:58pm
Bit of a blast from the past. I remember Hz stuff from way back when - it sounded pretty good if I recall - at least the tops. Probably the fact they weren't simply 2 way SOS type cabs. I seem to remember they went bust and were resurrected briefly before the inevitable final crash.I'll check in my seemingly bottomless archives to see if I have any more details about them.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 8:29pm
I've still got a pair of SB600's* that I use with my Mackie 450's and they're in a matching grey!
Nothing better than wasting half an hour chatting with Dave over a cuppa.

* - Yes they are a bit 'one note', but with the help of Dave (and some of the info he had in various hand written books and on scraps of paper) we sussed a set up for my Behringer DCX. They sound pretty good now.

Edited by djeddie - 17 January 2022 at 8:30pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2022 at 1:44am
Thanks for replies y'all ...

Yeah got the feeling somehow that Audio Works site had a bit of a ghost-ship feel about it. I did call the number coupla times but no-one home.

Anyway - issue has become pretty much irrelevant now as I have acquired another bass box !!!! I'll almost certainly be back with noobish questions about that <g>.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply