Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Template for builds !?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Template for builds !?
    Posted: 15 January 2022 at 1:53pm
I have embarked on building a few boxes , they will not be CNC routed so I was wondering what's the usual material or technique to make a template so I don't have to measure out and sketch each individual side panel? 
I find that process  very boring and I'm prone to making mistakes.
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 10:54pm
pre CNC I always sketched out the desired layout on a sheet and used a 15mm (long) template bit to cut the templates allowing the correct offset for the router guide bush 
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 9:35am
Im not sure i understand what you mean sorry Smile .
I think im hitting a slight language barrier here or am just a bit daft ,which could be the case haha.
Anyway i wont route out the box myself nor cnc route it to fit , just classic screw and glue on flat wood !

But when i assemble the box and just the last side panel is left i want to have an easier way of knowing where to screw it in without sketching it out on each side panel 8 or more times .
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 1:15pm
I just make a cutting list and get somewhere with a vertical wall panel saw  to cut it ..it avoids "often" dissapointing results, I would never make multiple boxes any other way! It isnt worth the tragedy!
Even marking a panel and cutting can introduce 1mm errors that can ruin the whole box.
Also get some straps to hold it together while you pin and glue it together (screws will push joints out of true,loads of hassle) Or get/borrow a brad nail gun(well worth it!).  Use screws and wood battons later to reinforce the  90 degree joins.
Of course other methods are available.

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 16 January 2022 at 1:29pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 1:30pm
Are you routing out dados? Of so.. probably spend some time making a template from 6mm ply. Work out your router collet diameter and your cutter diameter and all that to end up with the template you need.. time consuming but worth it if you're repeating the side panels a lot.

If you're not going that far and you just want to drill in the same place on each panel, then I reckon just mark and drill the first one and then just use the holes in it as a template over the others.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 1:48pm
Tinnitus all the wood is precut at the lumbers ,only need to get the angles on few myself which isnt a problem.

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

If you're not going that far and you just want to drill in the same place on each panel, then I reckon just mark and drill the first one and then just use the holes in it as a template over the others.

Yeah no routing , this is what i was aiming at with the question !
That idea  works just for the last side panel when closing or finishing the box , the first one would need to be sketched out everytime to know where the pieces fit anyway.
One thing that came to my mind is some kind of thin foil that is kinda solid and cut it out with a scalpel ,dunno..
If it werent a big and complicated box i wouldnt bother but theres just so much measuring it does my head in .
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:11pm
How big is it? Sheet of cardboard do it?
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:30pm
1000x1200
well if i find one that size , it probably would .
Reckoned there would be an already proven solution, but now that i think of it anyone building a large volume of boxes will either CNC them or have a ply template for routing.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:41pm
If you know how many you're going to do in total you could just keep an extra side panel around as a template until you fit it to the last one.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2022 at 3:43pm
When building multiple boxes with just basic tools, cut and assemble 1 complete box without any glue and then disassemble it. Now use those pieces as the templates to cut and pre drill a series of pieces to build the full batch.
 Post Reply Post Reply