Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another “help me spend my money” thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another “help me spend my money” thread
    Posted: 16 January 2022 at 9:11pm
Hiya

I’m looking to get myself a little system for mobile dj-ing. 

My last PA was Ohm BR12, TRS118s and BRS12 baby bins. The TRS118s were absolutely stunning for 300 people, but I hardly ever used them, but as the BR12’s were very much a mid-hi, I needed a little something to fill in the bottom end on the smaller gigs (most of them!) and that’s where the BRS12’s came in. They absolutely blew me away in terms of output vs size. When I sold them, the chap initially thought there was a problem with the speakers until he realised it was his cabinet at the back of his lock-up shaking!

Anyway, I need a little system that will fit in my SAAB 9-5 saloon as I’m not going back dj-ing every week so don’t want to buy another car/van just for gigs. 

Something like a pair of Ohm BR10s and a pair of BRS12 bins is what I have in mind. That kind of size. I’m awaiting quotes from Ohm for that (with amps and processing) and from Nexo for a PS10/LS400 set up. I’ve got a quote from the Void dealer for their Venu range and am just sorting out going to have a listen. I’ve also had a chat to Ken Hughes about one of his systems. I’ve just spotted that logic do a 10” top/12” bin options in the Notion range so will give them a yell (but the bin only goes down to 50Hz and Void and Ohm hit 40Hz). Inspired Audio do a 2x10” bin, but again that only goes to 50Hz. 

Can anybody recommend anyone else that I haven’t thought of?

Also, as I wrote this I’ve realised that I’ve half discounted 2 because of their lower limit of 50Hz; is this silly? How much of a difference will those 10Hz make?!

Edit: I should say that I don’t mind second-hand at all and I’m not concerned about weight or lugging them around, just that they fit in the car!

Edited by djgorey - 16 January 2022 at 9:26pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:51am
Ken's Blue Acoustic boxes are very nicely designed and with the Powersoft amp modules makes a very easy system to set up.

On a small system, I would definitely go with something that hits 50Hz well rather than trying to reach 40Hz and suffering the compromises.  For 'general purpose' work, it's low enough.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 9:28am

As ceharden has already said…. For “general purpose” music 50hz will be fine.

Your BRS12 were 10db down at 40hz, so probably only hit above 50hz with any real power.

kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 11:55am
Counter opinion; you should be able to do 35Hz with your space restriction and there is a big difference between 40Hz -3dB and 50Hz -3dB for a lot of music produced beyond the mid 90s.  Check out this:

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:21pm
On paper, Void keeps coming out on top. Cabinets are smaller and lighter than Ohm and have better freq response. Void quote -3dB for 40Hz compared to Ohm’s -10dB. And Void are louder too. 

Of course, the paper stats are just a starting point so I’ll want to have a listen too and cost comes into it too. Re-sale ability comes into it too, although the systems I’m looking at are small enough to have in my house 😉
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 3:39pm
There's a PS8/LS400 system on the bay complete with nexo 4ch amp and nexo controller that could do the job, but I wonder whether the PS8 will be loud enough...

Then again, I worried about having a 12" bin until I heard a decent one.
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 5:34pm
Hi mate PS8 with the controller is a great little box , with the LS400 they sound really good for most gigs. I used to run 2 PS8 and 2 LS400 and the sound was great , the subs only really ran out of steam at pretty loud levels . 

djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:06pm
It’s on my watched list. 

The biggest gigs I’ll be doing is 150-200 guests, indoors with maybe 70 on the dance floor max. Typical wedding disco, corporate, Christmas party type stuff. For background music the sound needs to get around the room, but only quietly of course. For the dancing part it needs to be loud enough on the dance floor, which will give enough everywhere else for people to know the gig is on, but not deafen them. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:16pm
i really like my ps10 systems.
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 6:18pm
I have requested a quote for a PS10/LS400 system, but haven’t heard back yet. I suspect it will be out of budget. If there are any Nexo dealers on here, please drop me a PM!

Edit: I’ve just found a shop selling a PS10/LS600 system that isn’t out of the realms of possibility cost wise. Would have to go with some cheaper options elsewhere in my “back to dj-ing for the 4th time” build, but those options wouldn’t compromise the sound. 

Further Edit: Found somewhere else selling where the price is much closer to budget so have e-mailed to see if I can go down and have a visit and a look/listen/chat.  A PS10/LS600 system is proper loud (for what I do), so if it fits in the car and I can get it within budget, then it could be a winner.

Edited by djgorey - 18 January 2022 at 8:52pm
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 10:16pm
RCF ART910A or for maximum performance, ART932A.
Mate them with a SUB 705-AS II or better, 905-AS II if you really want some power.
That would be my weapon of choice. 

I run ART732A mk.4 with SUB 705-AS II. Nice Little system with plenty of headroom. The subs dont dominate and if i really open Up the juice on 732A, they cant keep up. But they do a great job!
Two subs with one top, thats a totally different story Big smile

Edited by FOO - 18 January 2022 at 10:18pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:45am
Thanks for the tip. Any idea how it compares to Yamaha DZR/DXS?

One question re the Nexo - the amp spec’d as part of the package does 4x750w @ 8R, but Nexo recommend an amp of 1k-2k. The amp spec’d seems underpowered?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>