Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 218

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJGeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo 218
    Posted: 26 January 2022 at 8:54pm
Thinking of building a couple of Cubo 218’s. Loaded with PDN1850’s. Couple of questions:

1. Would these perform better than a pair of bass reflexes?

2. Would there be a reduction in output by having the centre panel curved like in the image? Or is it best to have it flush to the front?

https://imgur.com/a/UrI3un5 - https://imgur.com/a/UrI3un5
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 2:04pm
Depends on your definition of "perform better".

They'll almost certainly go louder, but whether or not they go deeper will depend on the exact size & tuning of the BR you compare them to.

Curving the centre panel shouldn't make a difference acoustically, but make sure there's still enough wood there to brace the cabinet well.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 6:37pm
1) Dont remove the center plate. Very important for the performance. 

2) You will get more output, yes. But you will miss out on LF compared to a good BR design. 

3) Dont build dual. I have made some Cubo215, and they are Heavy as fuuuu*k...!

4) If you want to try something fun, then put those PD1850 in some EV T18. Add some more bracing at baffle and throat. 
And have fun. Pretty surpricing output Big smile

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 6:41pm
If you go the cubo route, i would pick the cubo sub.
Extends lower but is bigger. Goes pretty loud due to the high sensitivity above 50Hz.
DJGeno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJGeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2022 at 7:58pm
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Will deffo consider the cubo sub, and the T18.

Guess it would help to not be so vague in my requirement… I’m planning to have the rig mainly play tech house, but all other types of house too. So I was looking at something with punch, 40-100hz. Hoping to get to x3 218’s per side eventually, then when I need low end (when I do D&B / Bassline events) I would build some 21inch paraflex’s to add between the 2 stacks. 

When I did the model and looked at the weight it was already at 60kg without being loaded 😬 but I guess you can’t really expect lightweight when you want decent spl from bass, so I’ve just come to accept anything I build will be heavy. 

My ultimate goal is to cut down on the amount of trips I have to do, eventually all my cabs will have casters. 
 Post Reply Post Reply