Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thomann T-amp experiences please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thomann T-amp experiences please
    Posted: 09 February 2022 at 6:19pm
Hi y'all ....

Wondering if anyone has direct experience of the Thomann t-amp E800 machine ?

Claims 2 x 500W > 4R, 2 x 350W > 8R, and 1 x 1kW > 8R bridge.
Looks heavy at nearly 13Kg - so surely it must be a linear PSU with toroid.
My gut instinct (and I could well be wrong of course) is that tranformer PSUs tend to be more reliable than SMPS (well - unless you're paying top dollar for the likes of Powersoft et al).

Nice and simple methinks - no frills.

The context is :-

3 possible modes of use :-

1) to run my 2 much beloved FBT Maxx 4 passive mid-tops (4R version). Plenty of headroom  there.

2) to run a single Tannoy 15" bandpass sub in 8R bridge. The sub is labelled as 300W - 700W amps recommended. So should be ample headroom also .... and no I'm not expecting full beans at 20Hz - 20KHz both channels driven etc.

3) Might be used to drive 1 FBT mid-top + the 15" sub (1 per channel obviously) ... in this case the sub would be nominally underpowered, but I'm kind of assuming the bandpass sub would have an extra bit of efficiency to compensate.

Its only really a hobbyist setup .... occasional use - ONLY EVER controlled by me - and I'm a fairly cautious bod with (I think) enough understanding to not rag it/clip it.

So question really is just :-

Is this a reasonable quality, competent amplifier ? I certainly like the 3 year warranty !

TIA.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2022 at 6:35pm
I never used one personally, but I know a reggae sound that use a pile of them (like 4-6 of them) for top end (horns / super tweeter) and play the whole night well into clip. I wouldn't advise doing so of course but that seems to indicate for some reliability.
With that in mind and the price and 3years guarantee you can't really go wrong I think.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2022 at 7:02pm
I had one for a short while. A mate was short of money and sold it to me. He'd had it for quite a while and said it was fine and had no problems with it.

I  gave it an extensive test and was quite impressed with it. I only sold it on because I had so many amps at the time.

If I needed an amp of that power I would certainly buy another. As you correctly state, 3 year guarantee, can't go wrong.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2022 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

So question really is just :-

Is this a reasonable quality, competent amplifier ? I certainly like the 3 year warranty !

TIA.

To answer your question, yes! 

I had an e800 for a few years, it was used to power mids, tops, dj monitors (usually without a limiter!) and occasionally full range FOH on smaller jobs.The build quality is good with a very solid case and I can't say I noticed any difference in sound quality between it and more expensive amps, oh, and the weight is because it has a whopping great toroid in it!

I never used my one exclusively on bass but I wouldn't doubt for a second that it has the power to drive a single bass bin in bridge mode, I'd say the published specs are erring on the low side compared to what it actually puts out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2022 at 9:37am
Thanks guys .... I'm convinced enough - I just hit the buy button :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2022 at 9:52am
i have 2 of the 4 channel TSA4 units

they are class, i will definitely be owning T-Amp stuff in one way or another for many years to come
 Post Reply Post Reply