Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unloaded amp to set limiter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadPsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unloaded amp to set limiter
    Posted: 16 February 2022 at 1:54pm
I'm hoping this is a binary answer rather than 'it depends' but here goes..

Is it plausible to run an amp unloaded for the purpose of setting a sensible level for a limiter. In other words would one expect an amp to clip at the same input level reguardless if it's loaded down or not (assume power supply has plenty current available)?

I suspect it might not be as simple as this so curious what other think.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 5:46pm
Yes, if you base the limiter value on the measured voltage at the amplifier output terminals - which handily, also happens to be how loudspeaker power ratings are calculated.
MadPsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadPsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 9:53pm
Aha yes indeed. I should have clarified in the question I meant using the amplifier's level indicator directly (rather than a DMM on the output).

In other words I'm unsure if you should expect the level indicators to change when there's a load vs no load. In this case it's MC2 amps.
 Post Reply Post Reply