FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gain Structure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gain Structure
    Posted: 07 March 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Aymara Aymara wrote:

I don't get what you're saying... How do you turn down the output? Can you say it in different steps?

The thing has a limiter on each O/P channel. You can use that to make sure that you don't clip your amps.

OR:- Yes, read the manual!   Smile 

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 2:33pm

I don't get what you're saying... How do you turn down the output? Can you say it in different steps?

Sorry, I haven't used the DCX enough to know this immediately but it will be in the manual, look for it there Wink
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 2:18pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 1:28pm

Yes but how you turn down the output of a DCX? 

Use the limiter. Available on each output channel.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 1:08pm
Yes but how you turn down the output of a DCX? 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 11:30am
You said in the first post the amp was clipping earlier than you expected, this is one (basic) way to set your gain structure to minimise the chance of that happening.
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 10:49am
Alright i try that when i'm home but what do you mean with "turn down the output of your DCX until the clip lights on the amp stop lighting up"? 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 10:33am
Re: Setting output level on the DCX: Disconnect your speakers from the amp, play Pink Noise as a test signal, put the output of your mixer where you want it, turn down the output of your DCX until the clip lights on the amp stop lighting up. Reconnect speakers, play normal program material, check the balance between mains and subs - adjust main outputs down on DCX to get good balance with the sub level.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 10:29am
Use the "Quote" rather than "Reply" option.....

Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 9:20am
I don't know how to quote a message so this is a very unclear message haha
Aymara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aymara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2022 at 9:19am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

So on the behringer dcx i need to set -12dB for the sub channel?

You will need to experiment to find out what is the correct setting but it will be somewhere around -12dB on the sub channel gain. Without having everything in front of me I cant give you an accurate figure, that is something that you have to work out yourself because it is different with every set up. This is part of the gain structure.

The output gains on the crossover should be adjusted so that each section of your system is balanced in sound and that the amps hit maximum power when you have the output from the mixer at maximum.
 So on the behringer dcx i need to set -12dB for the sub channel?
But if i do that, it's very silent...
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 9:05pm
Unless you have your mixer in "red" and/or the DCX EQ boosted, levels at + several dB and things like that, I think the amp is in for a checkup/repair. Knowing those amps and certainly the age they have now, it might be one of the the higher voltage rails/amps of the three stages that don't work for whatever reason. In that case you'll have an amp of a few 100 Watts, which is what seems to be the case here... clipping with barely some input.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>