Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest CA6 bridged output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crest CA6 bridged output
    Posted: 08 March 2022 at 9:39am
This might be a silly question but I'm not in a position to test it right now. Does anyone know if the single bridged speakon socket is paralleled for 1+/- and 2+/-, or is the output only available on 1+/-? I'm just trying to plan my wiring and if I'm driving two 8ohm cabs from the bridged output I would prefer to have a separate 2.5mm pair for each from the amp rather than a single run to the first then out to the second.

Edited by Lucasdude - 08 March 2022 at 9:40am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2022 at 2:47pm
I believe the 3rd connector only has 1+/2- on it. 

To have dedicated cable runs to each box you will need a patch panel at the amp rack.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2022 at 2:48pm
or you could make a split speakon lead with one speakon only connecting to +1 on one amp channel, and the other -1 on the other. those 2 speakons at one end of the cable with one wire each i mean..
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2022 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. I do like Speakons, but this sort of thing was much easier with the binding post version.
  The manual says pins 1+&2+ for bridged out, but looking at the board inside I can see that all 4 pins are soldered for that socket.

Edited by Lucasdude - 08 March 2022 at 5:41pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2022 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do like Speakons, but this sort of thing was much easier with the binding post version.
  The manual says pins 1+&2+ for bridged out, but looking at the board inside I can see that all 4 pins are soldered for that socket.

If it follows the same principal as the QSC EX 4000;

Single Speakon Socket Stereo Mode

1+ Positive Left Channel
1 - Negative Left Channel

2+ Positive Right Channel
2 - Negative Right Channel

Single Speakon Socket Bridged Mono

1+ Positive Left Channel

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

1+ Positive Left Channel

Ok that make more sense, makes it possible to use a single 4-core cable to biamp a box without any custom adapters.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

1+ Positive Left Channel

Ok that make more sense, makes it possible to use a single 4-core cable to biamp a box without any custom adapters.

Boxes such as the EAW SB 850 were wired in the same manner. It allow each driver to have it's own dedicated amplifier. Great for the touring market however, not ideal for those that must load four loudspeakers (each loudspeaker residing in its own enclosure) on each channel of the amplifier. Hence, the reason to offer three Speakon sockets. This allowed more flexibility based on the user's requirements.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 09 March 2022 at 10:16am
Elliot Thompson
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 1:13pm

1+ Positive Left Channel

1+ Positive Left Channel

Best Regards,

I think its a bit odd that provision is made for all 4 pins in stereo mode, but not in bridge mode. I didn't initially check the manual, I just assumed that the bridge out would be on pins 1+/-. I will need to have dedicated cables for bridge mode on 1+/2+. As all 4 pins are soldered on the board behind the socket, is seems silly not to be able to use them.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 2:25pm

I think its a bit odd that provision is made for all 4 pins in stereo mode, but not in bridge mode. I didn't initially check the manual, I just assumed that the bridge out would be on pins 1+/-. I will need to have dedicated cables for bridge mode on 1+/2+. As all 4 pins are soldered on the board behind the socket, is seems silly not to be able to use them.

I think you are missing an important point, bridging a 2 channel amp turns it into a single channel amplifier, bridged power is only available across the combined voltage swing of both channels. You can't get the bridged power from all terminals. 

Another point I didn't mention earlier, there is only 1200w of output here to be shared by two subs, there really is no need for dedicated cables to each box IMO.

Edited by Conanski - 09 March 2022 at 2:31pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 2:27pm

1+ Positive Left Channel

1+ Positive Left Channel

Best Regards,

In Bridged Mode, you use the positive terminal of each channel to connect to the loudspeaker. You never use the negative terminals in Bridged Mode.

Bear in mind, Crest CA Series is exported using Speakon sockets due to Banana Plugs being banned in Europe on power amplifiers delivering a certain amount of power. In the Americas, it is rare to find a Crest CA 6 offering Speakon outputs as, they are equipped to use Banana Plugs.

It is always best to read the manual before posing a question as it will save you a lot of time in finding answers. Especially when you are working with equipment that is obsolete.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 09 March 2022 at 2:45pm
Elliot Thompson
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 3:48pm
Thanks for your replies. My point is pretty simple. On the binding post version of Crest amps, of which I have had many in the past, I was able to run a pair of cables from ch1 hot and channel 2 hot in bridged mode using spades, and on the Speakon version i cannot.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 4:37pm

There is no reason why you cannot customize such a tool using one Speakon connector on one end and a Binding Posts on the other end. Customization is very common with sound systems that are not catering to the corporate market.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>