FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable Battery 2 way speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:58pm
In such a small enclosure it will make a big difference. Imho, the rear panel will be the first to treat. The "woodiness" of lower vocals is what needs to be addressed. The only problem is that bass response will suffer if you put too much in.
  Make sure you keep it away from the port entrance though. If it were me, I would still consider some bitumen panels. Wickes sells various sizes under "roof flashing". You can check the difference it makes just by feeling the panels at different frequencies. That's also a good way to check all the panels are sealed correctly. Did you use anything to seal the inside joints?

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 9:02pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

I didn't see any damping in the main chamber of your speaker. I would suggest you use something. On that design, maybe just 5 small bitumen panels would do it. The only downside is a bit more weight, but I think the result would justify it.

I havent fitted anything yet but i have here some 'medium wadding' from blue aran, its what i bought to use in here. Would that be ok? If so what walls would be best to do?

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 8:45pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

No, using one half of each board is effectively the same as using the whole board of one.
  In addition to splitting the frequency band, the crossover may also resist one part to balance the end frequency response of the drivers. The purest dividing network is probably just a single capacitor in series with the the HF to ensure it doesn't handle any low frequencies.
  Cheap components on a passive crossover sound poor, and using too much resistance to balance drivers will certainly rob available amp power.

Oh ok would it be better to just do away with the passive crossover and fit a capacitor in series?

If so happens to the woofer though to stop it playing too much highs?

I don't know if that would work for you. If you go the biamp route, and are able to balance the channels as we discussed then it might, but to make that sound right you would have to take measurements of the bass driver response with a full range signal. Then note the roll off rate and work out the type of HPF the tweeter would need. A single series capacitor would only provide a 1st order slope, so that may or may not be ideal.
  Having said all that, it's all good fun!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:35pm
I didn't see any damping in the main chamber of your speaker. I would suggest you use something. On that design, maybe just 5 small bitumen panels would do it. The only downside is a bit more weight, but I think the result would justify it.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:31pm

No, using one half of each board is effectively the same as using the whole board of one.
  In addition to splitting the frequency band, the crossover may also resist one part to balance the end frequency response of the drivers. The purest dividing network is probably just a single capacitor in series with the the HF to ensure it doesn't handle any low frequencies.
  Cheap components on a passive crossover sound poor, and using too much resistance to balance drivers will certainly rob available amp power.

Oh ok would it be better to just do away with the passive crossover and fit a capacitor in series?

If so happens to the woofer though to stop it playing too much highs?

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 8:31pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:30pm
On one of my battery projects recently, I used a 4 channel high quality car amp to actively biamp a small pair of speakers. Because  car audio is used to such things, it was easy to put a low pass on 2 channels and a high pass on the other 2. The amp also had a variable subsonic high pass, so I can use that in the same way we discussed to stop the system robbing power due to inaudible frequencies.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:20pm
Oh cool that makes sense then.

Just reading about biamping now and sounds like you get a nicer clearer sound and deeper bass.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:19pm

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 8:24pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:16pm
Ah right ok cheers yeh i see what you mean now.

And yes i do have another exact crossover. I wasnt planning on using it but will consider it now. As long as there will be enough room inside to fit it ill do it.

My only concern is that passive crossovers eat battery power i have heard, so having 2 in there would make battery power worse wouldnt it?

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 8:17pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:12pm
In your case it would be passive biamping, so picture 2. The "X" at the input of each driver denotes "crossover". In picture 3, the X is before the amps so that is active biamping.
  Yes, on your mono system you can treat each amp channel as a separate amp.
  If you have 2 identical 2 way boards, just use one for each amp channel connected to the relevant driver.

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 8:14pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 8:08pm
Ok cool yeh i just googled and i partly understand now here is 1 photo which i assume is what you meant.

I would be wiring it like the first photo. But it sounds like your saying to wire it like the bottom photo? Amplifier 1 and Amplifier 2 being just each channel i assume too?

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 8:10pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 7:59pm
Just another thought on that. I assume you have another identical one of those crossovers? If so, you may aswell try the same thing but use a separate board for each driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>