Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable Battery 2 way speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:41am
Depends on your exact TPA3255, but I have run good quality ones above 50V into difficult 4R loads with active cooling.

If you're just using one channel at 8R, I really wouldn't worry too much about higher power. Bear in mind the max voltage per pack is probably 21V, therefore you could see 42V total.

However, battery life may suffer, and you could run into problems with excursion / port velocity.

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:54am
Oh right cool thats good then, cheers man.

From looking online though i have only come across 1 type. Heres the one i have bought. Its not arrived yet though.

Heres the preamp & the dc step up converter i have bought too.

Preamp

DC Step Up Converter

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 12:58pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 12:45pm
I have no idea what those amps sound like. My solution for a good portable amp used to be a small Caliber Competition  and a motorbike battery! How things have moved on.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

I have no idea what those amps sound like. My solution for a good portable amp used to be a small Caliber Competition  and a motorbike battery! How things have moved on.

I have no idea either to be honest. Im part of a 12v Sound System forum on Facebook and i regularly see people using cheap chinese amps like this and they seem to rate them. So im hoping it will sound good enough.

I need small parts as its going to be portable so all needs to fit in neatly into the top compartment. This seemed like my only option really
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 1:28pm
Is that amp bridgeable? If not, does the cross over you're using allow for blamping?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 3:41pm
The amp is not bridgable unfortunately no. Also i have no idea what blamping is?

It was quite hard to find a amplifier that would give enough power into 8Ω
And i couldnt find any speakers 4Ω that the box size was small enough and go low enough. Bit of a compromise.

Hopefully the amp is good enough. If not hopefully people give suggestions on here.

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 4:21pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 4:30pm
Biamping would allow you to drive the woofer and tweeter separately with a channel each of a stereo amp, albeit still using the passive crossover you have. It's not as good as active driving, where the frequency dividing happens before the amps, but it would be a better use of what you have. Which Convair crossover is it?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 4:48pm
Ah right cool i see. It is this one 2.5k convair crossover.

Also yeh if there is better things i can buy e.g amplifier or preamp or better ways to do what im doing i am more than happy to do that. Obviously price wise within reason. Im just going off what i have read online, dont have much expierience with it all.

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 4:52pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 6:33pm
It's not difficult to work out watts watt on that board. It won't gain you much, but driving the 2 halves of the network with a channel each might mean less chance of HF driver damage due to clipping, and might sound a bit better.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 6:48pm
Ah right ok cool how would i go about that i dont really understand?

I thought 1 channel of the amplifier goes to the 'IN' on the crossover and there wasnt any other way round i could do it?

Also there are no gain controls, would that not mean i would be getting too much power to the highs?

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 7:20pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 7:29pm
I won't try and explain how you might go about it as I don't want you to damage anything. If you are interested then you'll find some help online. If you do proceed and use Poweramp summed to mono, you will be able to control the level to each driver using the "balance" control in the app. This might also help if the drivers you are using aren't the spec that the crossover was designed for.
  incidentally, I did notice that one of those Convair 2.5k crossovers needs to have the HF polarity reversed, so that might be something to try at some point.

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 7:31pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 7:59pm
Just another thought on that. I assume you have another identical one of those crossovers? If so, you may aswell try the same thing but use a separate board for each driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>