Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which multi-channel amp for subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which multi-channel amp for subs
    Posted: 19 March 2022 at 10:58am
i want to run at least 4 but maybe as many as 8 DIY suboofers using this driver:

https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/21-0/4/21ntlw5000-4

i haven't purchased the drivers yet but most likely this is the one ...

this is for an audiophile type home system for electronic dance music in a semi-open space ( open plan concept house ) 

i mention "audiophile" because i want to tune the subs to about 18 hz ( instead of manufacturer recommended 33 hz ) and run them at a lower power to get clean deep bass instead of just loud bass ... that means i won't need even half of the rated power of the subs ...

i am thinking 8 channel amp with about 1KW per channel is what i need ...

the idea is each sub gets its own amp channel and DSP that way i can tune out the room modes using MSO ( multi sub optimizer ) software which develops individual EQ settings for every sub location for most even in-room bass coverage ...

actually i was thinking 8 channel amp with 6 channels driving 6 subs and 2 more channels driving woofers ( 80 hz - 250 hz ) and frequencies above that will be handled by lower power amps like QSC PLX and QSC CX ...

i read here that multi-channel amps don't do well when all channels drive subs and i can understand why ...

but also not really keen on having like 8 X Crown XLS amps taking up an entire closet ...

i also think if i can do basic DSP ( like crossover, delay, EQ and limiter ) in the amp it could really simplify the setup further versus having a mess of cables ... also i would really love to have AES inputs and 24 bit / 96 khz for cleaner signal path ( yea i know, makes no difference for subs )

as far as i understand Powersoft is best for subs, i was thinking Ottocanali ( ouch $$$ ) but also that the new kid on the block ( Linea Research ) can deliver similar performance for less $$$

i was told Crown is not good for bass ... nobody explained why

i'm super broke i want the cheapest gear possible but i will never buy anything that isn't good - i would rather have nothing at all.  

basically as i see it buying cheap trash is more expensive than buying quality so if i can't afford quality then i definitely can't afford trash 

i previously tried to look for quiet amps but at this point i think i will just build a soundproof closet for them so just need a good multi-channel subwoofer amp with not too much power per channel as i am not looking to drive subs into distortion ...

how would you approach this situation ?  what would you get ? 

thanks in advance !

Edited by Line Array - 19 March 2022 at 11:08am
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:09pm
Why do you think you need 8 x 18" subs in a house?

I have 2 x 15" subs and can rattle ornaments on the mantle piece in the house next door but one if I want to. However, I prefer to use a low powered high quality amp and get a little more speed and dynamics over sheer output.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:59pm
yeah i don't understand how 8 x 21" subs in a house is ok but a rack of amps takes up a lot of space..
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i'm super broke i want the cheapest gear possible would rather have nothing at all.

if ur broke why u chattin about 21's ? Confused
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Andylaser Andylaser wrote:

Someone looking to move into an empty/embargoed property in Billionaires Row?  

LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 6:24pm
Yet another stupid question from yet another penniless dreamer with nothing better to do than waste members time on here!!!!!!!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Yet another stupid question from yet another penniless dreamer with nothing better to do than waste members time on here!!!!!!!

Clap
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i am thinking 8 channel amp with about 1KW per channel is what i need ...

Add a DSP and you're still at just 3U rack space but you will need a rather beefy 230v supply for it.

Edited by Conanski - 20 March 2022 at 12:25am
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

I don't know about finding a high power 8ch but a pair of these might just get it done...  - 4 Channel 750 Watts at 8ohm Class D 1U Professional Power Amplifier DJ Subwoofer Poweramp PA Stage Prokustk M50D|Stage Audio| - AliExpress
Add a DSP and you're still at just 3U rack space but you will need a rather beefy 230v supply for it.

that link to AliExpress doesn't go anywhere not that it matters as i think i was pretty clear i'm not looking to pick up Chinese scrap metal ...

were you trying to link to one of those Sinbosen FP20000 units that everybody uses at AVS ?

Edited by Line Array - 20 March 2022 at 1:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

yeah i don't understand how 8 x 21" subs in a house is ok but a rack of amps takes up a lot of space..

well it wouldn't be the end of the world i mean i need a rack anyway - the difference is you can't do the job of 8 subs with one but you CAN do the job of 8 amps with one ...

does it make sense to do it ?  i don't know that's why i'm asking ...

i'm looking to invest into quality, flexible tools ( amps ) not simply meet the power demands of the subs ... otherwise i would get one of those Sinbosens that do like 10,000 watts for $900 but sound like vacuum cleaner and last about 3 weeks ...

Edited by Line Array - 20 March 2022 at 1:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Andylaser Andylaser wrote:

I have 2 x 15" subs and can rattle ornaments on the mantle piece in the house next door but one if I want to. However, I prefer to use a low powered high quality amp and get a little more speed and dynamics over sheer output.

i'm on a 2 week ban from AVS and over there you're not cool unless you run at least 8 subs in your home theater and unless the subs are TC Sounds LMS Ultra they should be at least 21" ...

granted they run their subs in basement home theaters and they probably have gigantic lots with the next house half a mile away ... 

by contrast i would be running the subs on 1st floor with just 11 feet between me and the next house ... i did some testing with my single TC Sounds LMS Ultra and surprisingly the house contains bass pretty well - i can actually hear more midrange through the wall than bass !  and over the wind gusts i couldn't hear anything at all.

are you sure you're not making that stuff up about your dual 15" subs having serious output ?  i don't even know any serious 15" subwoofer drivers, except maybe some Car Audio units.

anyway my neighbor is like always in Florida ...

frankly everybody here in NJ is always in Florida ... i don't know how Florida can accommodate all the people from NJ ...

Edited by Line Array - 20 March 2022 at 1:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

what exactly is stupid about the question ?

you don't agree with my goals - i don't agree with yours.

i guess that makes you an idiot - right ?

or did you wait like a slave until others voiced their opinions so you could mirror them and get a pat on the back from fellow sheep for being a good boy who never thinks for himself and only can voice the sentiment you pick up from others  ?

yeah i thought so.

Edited by Line Array - 20 March 2022 at 1:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>