Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which multi-channel amp for subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Line array, if you're serious i suggest you state your budget, music type, a detailed description of the space and ask the people here to suggest a solution for you. 

Just throwing your own ideas out and trying to get people to pull them together wont yield useful results in the same way. 

Space: roughly 25 X 30 feet and roughly 15 feet ceiling ( sloped ) with one wall that has about 150 square feet worth of opening.

music type:

https://youtu.be/oiPFtqmb_Q4

all speakers and subs will be designed and built by me.

worst case scenario i may get JBL or RCF tops and only DIY the subs.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 11:44am
"basically what are considered go to subwoofer amps for EDM ?"

You can't beat a Crest 10001! Go forever. And no problem driving into 2 ohm.  Perfect for your 8 subs.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Anyone who needs one 21” subwoofer let alone 8 in a house clearly can not design, build or tune a worthwhile subwoofer. End.

Hard disagree. It’s not about the output level from the single box, it’s about decorrelation to provide far more consistent tone and level across the listening area.

https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/51379 - https://smartech.gatech.edu/handle/1853/51379
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13041

Unless you're arguing that folks like Earl Geddes don't know how to make a subwoofer?

Yet another example of why this forum is so damn stagnant, dealing with the same old cycles of the same questions.

To the OP: head over to diyAudio. Plenty of folk experienced with MSO and the like there.

thank you fren !

unfortunately i'm already banned at diyAudio

this forum was recommended to me on prosoundweb where i am not banned yet but they keep deleting all my threads because they say i can only talk about professional use and not home use ...

i may come back to diyAudio for the third time after i study enough new material to disguise myself so they can't recognize me ...

none of them recognized me when i came back last time but i have been away for almost 15 years so that was easy ... however to come back after only a few months i would need to completely reinvent myself ...

Edited by Line Array - 21 March 2022 at 11:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

You can't beat a Crest 10001! Go forever. And no problem driving into 2 ohm.  Perfect for your 8 subs.  Smile

i said an amplifier not strongman training equipment LOL
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i said an amplifier not strongman training equipment LOL

For home use, how often will you need to move it around? And dual purpose equipment is all the rage these days!   LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 12:38pm

[QUOTE=Line Array][QUOTE=Earplug]
For home use, how often will you need to move it around? And dual purpose equipment is all the rage these days!   LOL LOL LOL

ok well to further clarify then i'm looking for amps that are:

- class D
 - SMPS
 - 2RU
 - 4 channels or more

ideally about 8 X 1000W in about a 20" deep, 30lbs chassis or so.

MUST BE ABLE TO RUN SUBS ON ALL CHANNELS AT THE SAME TIME

the Ottocanali meets most of my requirements but it's kinda pricey and i'm not sure it can actually run subs on all 8 channels at the same time - can it ?

Edited by Line Array - 21 March 2022 at 12:42pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 1:01pm

you say Crown XLS is cheap Chinese junk ... i can see how an amp that only weighs 10 lbs and has RCA inputs and "DSP" that misses basic functions like subsonic filter or delay can be considered cheap junk ...

but they're some of the quietest amps ( in terms of fan noise ) on the market and unlike the Sinbosen stuff you can buy them from a reputable store, send them back if you don't like them and even ( GASP ! ) get warranty service if they need it. 
Yep that is a good point and the lack of after sales support is probably the #1 complaint about the direct from china gear. The reason there is no after sales support in many cases is because all those sellers on AliExpress are actually just resellers.. they aren't the manufacturer so they don't have any parts. The manufactuer(whoever they are this week) builds the product in batches and uses up whatever parts they have for it so they don't have any spares either, so the consumer is really buying a disposable product.. you get what you get out of it and that is it. Sad but that isn't any different than most other consumer electronics these days, if your brand name flat screen TV dies under warranty it doesn't get repaired it gets replaced. 

as for Powersoft T Series ... you will accuse me of flip flopping again because i said i don't want to waste an entire rack on subwoofer amps but actually i don't want single rack unit amps either ... i just don't like how they use all these weird fans and then they only pull the air over the heatsink instead of the entire amp because they used all the space in the back on the XLR plugs and only had room left for a tiny exhaust hole 

i really like how military / industrial the ottocanali looks inside:

Yep it's built like a piece of industrial communications equipment.. something I have seen a lot of  having worked for 20yrs in manufacturing and R&D for one of north americas biggest telecommunications companies.
Class D is very electrically efficient.. that is why those amplifiers don't need as much fan cooling, but I agreee the 1U form factor is an unnecessary compromise for an installation where less fan noise is preferred. I don't know what to suggest, separate power amplifiers are becoming extinct in pro audio as most production has shifted to powered speakers, there are still some 2-ch versions abailable at the budget end of the spectrum but all the touring grade amps are big $$ to buy new and there is no middle ground.. unless you look at buying used. 

Edited by Conanski - 21 March 2022 at 1:03pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 1:49pm
"ok well to further clarify then i'm looking for amps that are:

- class D"

Do Audiophiles even acquiesce to the use of Class D? I thought that it's all Class A, or at a pinch AB. And far better if it's valve. Maybe that's why you've been banned. Thankfully we're far more open minded here!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 2:06pm
The Ottocanali is a 2U amp, and the DSP+D model has all the processing chops to do everything you’d need. That includes a dedicated 'install' software option in Armonia Plus, with remote control of presets, levels and the like via wall panel or custom tablet/phone app, if you want.

As for output power, the current demand in a domestic environment should be low - especially with a properly configured multi-sub setup. There's a bunch of output power options in the same chassis, and plenty of home (and pro) cinemas that use those models.

They have smart rails management and transparent multi-stage limiting as well. Once configured correctly, it should be as 'set and forget' as can be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2022 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Sad but that isn't any different than most other consumer electronics these days, if your brand name flat screen TV dies under warranty it doesn't get repaired it gets replaced.

all TVs get a 5 year warranty from Costco.  i used my Samsung for a month then called Costco and they sent me $300 price adjustment because the TV went down in price.  i then used it for another month and returned it to Costco for full refund.  Costco came out and picked it up themselves and they refunded every penny including delivery and installation.  The TV had a minor issue that they never bothered to verify was even there - they just took it back no questions asked.  the Samsung model before mine ( previous year ) was found problematic so Samsung bought them back from customers and replaced them with a new model for free.  I have read about people replacing their Samsung TV from Costco FIVE TIMES because they were not happy with the picture.  all at no cost.

try that with Sinbosen ...

when manufacturer and seller stand behind the product like that they have a very strong incentive to design the product in such a way that you will be happy enough with it to keep it ...

and vice versa ...

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

separate power amplifiers are becoming extinct in pro audio as most production has shifted to powered speakers, there are still some 2-ch versions abailable at the budget end of the spectrum but all the touring grade amps are big $$ to buy new and there is no middle ground.. unless you look at buying used. 

yes PA speakers for mobile DJs are going self-powered

there was a point where JBL Arrays went self-powered as well but it seems that direction was abandoned and now they all require external amplification and DSP ...

basically separate amps are alive and well for touring and install applications just not for mobile PA applications like Proms, Weddings etc.

i guess their logic is people are morons so if you build the amp into the speaker and include undefeatable filters and limiters you potentially save the speaker from these dumb animals.

on other hand in full-on PRO sound people are professionals and can actually be trusted to set up equipment correctly.  but equipment for professionals comes at a different price point.

and then there is XLS ... it's a separate amp from a major manufacturer and it's clearly not designed for professionals.  maybe they keep the power low on purpose so you can't blow up any speakers with it.  all the comments i read about it on AVS are the same - quiet, reliable ... not enough power.

anyway i'm out to sleep.  TTYL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123