Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggested Amps for 4 x Oberton 18XB1600

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tj23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tj23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggested Amps for 4 x Oberton 18XB1600
    Posted: 06 April 2022 at 1:02pm
Weight isn't a problem for me, majority of the time rig will be used at one venue not far from my storage. However I think I've been sold on the QSC PL380 it does everything I need and can be bought brand new.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Esc4pe Esc4pe wrote:

Originally posted by Tj23 Tj23 wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions for amps to power 4 x 18Xb1600 in my SBH.

I'm pretty new to the whole Soundsystem thing but am I right in saying as these cabs will be wired in parallel the speakers will essentially have 4ohms of resistance meaning I could run 2 horns/channel of a Crown Xti 6002(this is the height of my budget)

Is there any other amps I should considering? I'd like to keep it easy to source, and im reluctant to buy second hand.

Thanks

Is weight an issue my man?? When on lower budget multiples of the heavier stuff always prevails! The issue you have is with your drivers needing so much juice it pushes you towards needing the big dogs like powersoft to use multiple of them on one amp! 

I don’t see 2 prolines, 1 bridged to each 2 drivers, not being up to the task! Just use a good limiter or don’t thrash and have an eagle eye! 

2 4050/5050s  too!

Or as others have said and many hate to admit, people have had good experiences with CVR, Admark and Morin
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 9:20pm

I'm looking for suggestions for amps to power 4 x 18Xb1600 in my SBH.

I'm pretty new to the whole Soundsystem thing but am I right in saying as these cabs will be wired in parallel the speakers will essentially have 4ohms of resistance meaning I could run 2 horns/channel of a Crown Xti 6002(this is the height of my budget)

Is there any other amps I should considering? I'd like to keep it easy to source, and im reluctant to buy second hand.

Thanks

Is weight an issue my man?? When on lower budget multiples of the heavier stuff always prevails! The issue you have is with your drivers needing so much juice it pushes you towards needing the big dogs like powersoft to use multiple of them on one amp! 

I don’t see 2 prolines, 1 bridged to each 2 drivers, not being up to the task! Just use a good limiter or don’t thrash and have an eagle eye! 

2 4050/5050s  too!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 6:18pm

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Why? What do you suggest in its place?

See PM

I'm unable to view any PM's I don't have an inbox for some reason?

You don't have enough posts yet.

QSC PL380, could power 4 ohm driver per channel no Problem.

I have 2x of these for sale.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Tj23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tj23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 6:15pm

Why? What do you suggest in its place?

See PM

I'm unable to view any PM's I don't have an inbox for some reason?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I am talking about Xti 6000 not the first Generation of the I-Tech in which, the I-tech 8000 falls under. Crown made many modifications from the first Generation of the I-Tech which, is why they discontinued the whole first generation of I-Techs and introduced the I-Tech HD Series. This is when Crown introduced Macro-tech I, and the Xti 6000. They do not cut back every few seconds like the First Generation of I-Techs.

Best Regards,  

I feel like breaking stuff when I hear the compressor on Radio 6 messin with Miles, I would quickly become very enraged if my amps started softening my sub bass.

Pretty much all limiters embedded in the amplifier's circuitry will start to soften the bass once the amplifier approaches its limit. That high degree of amplifier distortion (which is favored by some), which would only get louder, once you push the amplifier harder into clipping is not present anymore with modern-day amplifiers. 

Best Regards,

I feel ya, E.T. Just like driving aids on modern cars, these "effects" are angelic to some but the devil to others. I would prefer my electronics to allow my ears to be The Judge.

When the clip lights are not solving the problem and, the customer does not know how to use his/her own judgement on when to back-off, the manufactures have to resort to on-board limiters. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 4:07pm

Think many don't really know the potential of K20, when on proper mains.

This is video taken, from my gig in 2013, with Powersoft K20 on proper 32A supply, powering 4x of my design Scoops, with "then" PD1852 prototypes.

3 Phase distro with meters, records the excitement..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuwACcXKBTA

Feeding the amplifiers proper power has always been something many never pay attention to. 

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:54pm

I am talking about Xti 6000 not the first Generation of the I-Tech in which, the I-tech 8000 falls under. Crown made many modifications from the first Generation of the I-Tech which, is why they discontinued the whole first generation of I-Techs and introduced the I-Tech HD Series. This is when Crown introduced Macro-tech I, and the Xti 6000. They do not cut back every few seconds like the First Generation of I-Techs.

Best Regards,  

I feel like breaking stuff when I hear the compressor on Radio 6 messin with Miles, I would quickly become very enraged if my amps started softening my sub bass.

Pretty much all limiters embedded in the amplifier's circuitry will start to soften the bass once the amplifier approaches its limit. That high degree of amplifier distortion (which is favored by some), which would only get louder, once you push the amplifier harder into clipping is not present anymore with modern-day amplifiers. 

Best Regards,

I feel ya, E.T. Just like driving aids on modern cars, these "effects" are angelic to some but the devil to others. I would prefer my electronics to allow my ears to be The Judge.

Edited by Lucasdude - 05 April 2022 at 3:56pm
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:46pm

Best Regards,  

Thanks Elliot.

What is your opinion of the ITECH 12000 HD?

Heard good things about the sound and power, but they are now almost impossible to repair, hence very scarce !?

It's discontinued by Crown. The voltage rails are around +/- 205 volts so, they still fall short in terms of output power compared to the discontinued Powersoft K 20 and, the current Admark/Morin/WASI amplifiers that all offer around +/- 220-230 volt rails. 

Best Regards, 

Think many don't really know the potential of K20, when on proper mains.

This is video taken, from my gig in 2013, with Powersoft K20 on proper 32A supply, powering 4x of my design Scoops, with "then" PD1852 prototypes.

3 Phase distro with meters, records the excitement..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuwACcXKBTA

Edited by levyte357- - 05 April 2022 at 3:56pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:45pm

Best Regards,  

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:36pm

Best Regards,  

Thanks Elliot.

What is your opinion of the ITECH 12000 HD?

Heard good things about the sound and power, but they are now almost impossible to repair, hence very scarce !?

They discontinued Macro-Tech 1200i by Crown. Its the same power as the Itech 12000 HD. The voltage rails are around +/- 205 volts so, they still fall short in terms of output power compared to the discontinued Powersoft K 20 and, the current Admark/Morin/WASI amplifiers that all offer around +/- 220-230 volt rails. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 April 2022 at 3:54pm
Elliot Thompson
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:29pm

Best Regards,  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>