Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggested Amps for 4 x Oberton 18XB1600

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tj23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggested Amps for 4 x Oberton 18XB1600
    Posted: 05 April 2022 at 1:56pm
I'm looking for suggestions for amps to power 4 x 18Xb1600 in my SBH.

I'm pretty new to the whole Soundsystem thing but am I right in saying as these cabs will be wired in parallel the speakers will essentially have 4ohms of resistance meaning I could run 2 horns/channel of a Crown Xti 6002(this is the height of my budget)

Is there any other amps I should considering? I'd like to keep it easy to source, and im reluctant to buy second hand.

Thanks

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:01pm
Would forget all about Crown XTI's, if I were you.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Tj23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tj23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:03pm
Why? What do you suggest in its place?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Tj23 Tj23 wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions for amps to power 4 x 18Xb1600 in my SBH.

I'm pretty new to the whole Soundsystem thing but am I right in saying as these cabs will be wired in parallel the speakers will essentially have 4ohms of resistance meaning I could run 2 horns/channel of a Crown Xti 6002(this is the height of my budget)

Is there any other amps I should considering? I'd like to keep it easy to source, and im reluctant to buy second hand.

Thanks

Quality, proven 2nd hand, is always better than cheap new crap.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Tj23 Tj23 wrote:

Why? What do you suggest in its place?

See PM

Tj23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tj23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:13pm
Granted I won't disagree with that at all, but sourcing stuff becomes a bit silly. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:27pm
The Crown Xti 6000/6002 is the only model in the Xti Series that is a re-badge I-Tech. Many were using the Xti 6000 as a more budget constraint option instead of the I-Tech 6000 in the late 2010's. The Xti 6002 is an Xti 6000 with an on-board dsp. 

Best Regards,   
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 2:49pm
Not even an ITECH-8000, would properly power 4x Oberton 18XB1600s.

I've seen ITECH-8000 attempting to power, 2x "8 ohm" 800w drivers, per channel, and self limiting, almost thermalling, even on rigid 32A supply.

Some of the output specs, of "some" branded lightweights, are absolute..

A First Book of Fairy Tales: Amazon.co.uk: Hoffman, Mary, Downing, Julie:  9781405315531: Books

Edited by levyte357- - 05 April 2022 at 2:53pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:07pm
I am talking about Xti 6000 not the first Generation of the I-Tech in which, the I-tech 8000 falls under. Crown made many modifications from the first Generation of the I-Tech which, is why they discontinued the whole first generation of I-Techs and introduced the I-Tech HD Series. This is when Crown introduced Macro-tech I, and the Xti 6000. They do not cut back every few seconds like the First Generation of I-Techs.

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I am talking about Xti 6000 not the first Generation of the I-Tech in which, the I-tech 8000 falls under. Crown made many modifications from the first Generation of the I-Tech which, is why they discontinued the whole first generation of I-Techs and introduced the I-Tech HD Series. This is when Crown introduced Macro-tech I, and the Xti 6000. They do not cut back every few seconds like the First Generation of I-Techs.

Best Regards,  

Thanks Elliot.

What is your opinion of the ITECH 12000 HD?

Heard good things about the sound and power, but they are now almost impossible to repair, hence very scarce !?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:29pm

Best Regards,  

I feel like breaking stuff when I hear the compressor on Radio 6 messin with Miles, I would quickly become very enraged if my amps started softening my sub bass.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Best Regards,  

Thanks Elliot.

What is your opinion of the ITECH 12000 HD?

Heard good things about the sound and power, but they are now almost impossible to repair, hence very scarce !?

They discontinued Macro-Tech 1200i by Crown. Its the same power as the Itech 12000 HD. The voltage rails are around +/- 205 volts so, they still fall short in terms of output power compared to the discontinued Powersoft K 20 and, the current Admark/Morin/WASI amplifiers that all offer around +/- 220-230 volt rails. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 April 2022 at 3:54pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>