Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultra compact mid/high

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 4:50pm
Cant go wrong with a Volt driver. Once experienced, never forgotten.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2022 at 12:41am
I did some 5" +1" coax cabs a while ago.

BMS loaded, I really like how they sound.

Use them as monitions in the studio when tracking vocal and other quite instruments, they don't do much below 90Hz very crisp and detailed.

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2022 at 1:18pm
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2022 at 10:06am
Thanks all - I’ve asked Volt for a price, the CX220.1 sounds ideal.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2022 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by KWB75 KWB75 wrote:

Thanks all - I’ve asked Volt for a price, the CX220.1 sounds ideal.

Blue Aran says £230 each For those.
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 2:50pm
Hmm, £250 direct from Volt - no availability until mid August!

Back to the drawing board…
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 3:24pm
I have a couple of pairs of Tannoy i8s, also the controller (TX1) which can be used as a crossover to separate sub, or an eq for full range use.

PM me if any interest.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 4:28pm
A bit leftfield, but depending on how loud you need it to be you might be able to find a good deal on some car audio coax speakers. The stated power handling obviously needs to be taken with a bucket of salt, but I've had some pretty loud and great sounding ones from Infinity and Focal in the past.
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 8:07pm
I’ve been eyeing up this 6” P-Audio coaxial for a compact 12v rig. It seems to tick all the boxes of my needs, which sound similar to yours. 

Edited by al_x - 20 April 2022 at 8:10pm
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 9:07pm
 Space - The final frontier.
The challenge being what are you going to compromise - Efficency vs. bandwidth.
So deciding factor might be how low vs. how loud.
Some drivers like being in a small a box as possible - This makes the natural roll off steeper, but flatter in the pass band. Useful for drivers with a small x-max. But crossover frequency will be fairly high.
Lots of mid drivers have a decent x-max- This makes them more suitable for use with reflex ports which can extend the bandwidth while still giving resonable efficiency. I am thinking of allignments like QB5 where the port hump is actively filtered to give an extended response without too much excursion.
Time spent with Hornresp can give interesting results - Driver in reflex cab, run sim and then use the filter wizard to check the response & displacement.
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by KWB75 KWB75 wrote:

After some suggestions for a very compact mid/high/full range to pole mount above a 12” sub - this is for house party/background music so looking for sound quality over spl.

Thinking along the lines of a 6.5” + comp or tweeter, the original top for the sub was a 6 x 3”, but I’m not so keen on building similar.

Happy to build or buy used, budget is c£150

Thanks!

Not coax, but the B&C 6MBX44 mid-bass driver in a 3l reflex box tuned to 120Hz handles 200W continuous and is about 96dB/W. About £120 each though, so might be out of your budget...
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2022 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by al_x al_x wrote:

I’ve been eyeing up this 6” P-Audio coaxial for a compact 12v rig. It seems to tick all the boxes of my needs, which sound similar to yours. 

I had those and I thought they was too heavy.
Seen a German page where the basket snap of this reason, and thats in a "hifi" cab under transport, so just a warning there...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>