Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultra compact mid/high

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultra compact mid/high
    Posted: 09 April 2022 at 1:42pm
After some suggestions for a very compact mid/high/full range to pole mount above a 12” sub - this is for house party/background music so looking for sound quality over spl.

Thinking along the lines of a 6.5” + comp or tweeter, the original top for the sub was a 6 x 3”, but I’m not so keen on building similar.

Happy to build or buy used, budget is c£150

Thanks!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 11:46am
For the best sound quality close up I have always favoured coaxial drivers.

A very compact solution too.

I think that you can definitely hear the advantages of "point-sourceness" of this type of driver up to maybe 3m away, so would be good for a house party.

Especially as you are using a separate sub, so lower frequencies are not modulating the hf.

Maybe something along the lines of a CVA One Voice OV8 or Tannoy I8, or something a bit smaller based around a 6.5" driver as you say.

With a budget of £150 and a bit of hunting around you might find something on the secondhand market, generally where the seller is offering local pick-up only, as that is where there bargains are to be had.

Edited by APC321 - 10 April 2022 at 11:47am
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 12:01pm
Keep your eyes on Ebay for some of the Martin Audio EM Series of cabinets---They come up regular and the smaller models very often go quite cheap as they are install series in green colour---a quick coat of black paint and stick a Top Hat in the bottom and you are sorted----and they also sound quite nice as well.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 5:14pm
Last year I built a box with 2 x Faital Pro 6FE100s in. I used a large format piezzo driver simply to try it and was very impressed with the results........ ended up leaving the piezzo where it was.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 9:32am
Thanks all - think I’m going to go down the DIY route…

I had a look through some old posts on here - is the BMS 4524 still regarded as the best budget compression driver? Also, would this be overkill on the HF if paired with a 6.5” LF driver?

Thanks!
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 9:47am
Forgot to mention, I haven’t ruled out the coaxial route, any suggestions for nice sounding small coax?

The Oberton 8CX is only £100 at the moment, anyone have experience of that driver?

Thanks again!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 10:12am
https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/cx2201/

If you favour sound quality, then these are a great option. Cheaper than you'd think too. Blue Aran used to sell them, but it seems they may have changed distributors. You can always call Volt directly to be pointed in the right direction.

Make sure you use a grille to protect the soft dome from prying fingers if they're going to be near people at a house party. Ideally, you want a relatively fine/open mesh and foam to avoid impact on the HF extension.
KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 12:40pm
Yeah, I do like the sound of the volt - heard some good things about it. Might be just above budget, but I guess I need to factor in that it comes with a decent crossover too.

Whilst not in the same league as the volt, I’m half tempted to give the Lavoce CSF061.21 a whirl for <£30.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 1:10pm
I have raved about the VOLTs many times on here.

20 litre cab, 68mm vent 125mm long, will give flat response to 57Hz, -3dB point of 50Hz.

You might decide you don't even need a sub.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 3:37pm
fane sovereign 12-250tc is another cheap option. there's a long thread about them.
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2022 at 8:38pm
I like Volts and still have a pair of FR220s I use for house parties and the like. They're good but definitely not the last word in speakers. Some of the normal (not coaxial) ones are much better and can sound awesome when implemented well.

My mate who's been bmuch more active than me on the building lately has been raving about the BMS 5N160. Based on the graphs he's sent me it looks pretty darn good and he's using it with a 10" sub so might fit your use..?

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 9:19am
There was a thread on here years ago using that driver and second bms non coax driver in a tiny box. Was always intrigued by how much useable coverage and output you would actually get from it. More than its size suggests I expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>