Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why did QSC discontinue PL 340 and PL 325 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why did QSC discontinue PL 340 and PL 325 ?
    Posted: 13 April 2022 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

the opposite for class D ...

there isn't a single QSC PL380 on sale on Ebay for example ... 

nobody wants to sell a light, efficient and reliable amp ...

I'm selling 2x PL380s
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 12:43am
QSC's market is now focused heavily on Powered Speakers. This was evident in 2018 when their Powered Loudspeakers were generating more sales than their stand-alone amplifiers. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 9:49pm
i understand the move from class H to class D but the PLX 2 range isn't discontinued ...

Crown and Dynacord both still sell class H amps as well ...

it's not that QSC discontinued class H amps - they discontinued the ones from PL series specifically ...

well i guess it doesn't matter why they did it.  i was just wondering if there were known issues with those amps i guess not.
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 12:14pm
The PL325/PL340 are a 14 year old model, they were discontinued a couple years ago after they had served their 10 year design lifetime. The only reason they kept on making the PL380 is that people still buy it because its a very good amp.

QSC moved onto the CXD/PLD series which are not really suitable for touring use and reliability on the first lot was pretty average. Now they have moved on the CX-Q range which are much better but that's all Q-Sys installation range. TBH QSC don't really make a proper pro touring amplifier range any more which is proper shame.

I love my PL amps, got a rack full of them and they are still my favourite sounding amps out of everything I have ever tried (special mention to CX range as well)
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Dorian Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorian Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 11:32am
Come on, very old  technology from the past

Today 2x 3KW  TRUE RMS @ 4 Ohm Class D easy  if the engineer have the skills

,...I dont talk about  > 1% THD EIAJ / Burst / Peak  Fake marketing Power 

Edited by Dorian Gray - 12 April 2022 at 11:34am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 9:04am
"sustainability means you never get to replace what you have."

Sustainability & saving precious resourses is an interesting subject - and to me means sticking with my 30+ year old amps, that I know do the job, are still reliable and are easy to maintain/fix when necessary.

And I just find the idea of replacing "stuff" that still works fine for the latest shiny shite a bit stupid and really wasteful. Like the people that continually buy new clothes to keep up with the fashion trends, maybe wear something once or twice and then toss it. Totally absurd!   Dead

Edited by Earplug - 12 April 2022 at 9:05am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 6:56am
Vlad didn't invent sustainability.

sustainability means you never get to replace what you have.

if you are even allowed to have anything in the first place.

partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 4:41am

we will get there too.  in Soviet Union things lasted FOREVER ( literally ! nothing was EVER replaced ).

if you can't build something that lasts you should let somebody else do it.

I don't think Vladimir is going to last much longer, one way or another LOL
Turn it up! Turn what up?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:19pm
Mandate warranty, yes. Drone strikes, really every case need to be judged on its own merits.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:01pm
to me Chinese company products are never "new" since they never come with the kind of warranty, support or return policy that new products come with.

they cost the same as used products because you get a cat in a box same as with used products.

doesn't mean it is a bad deal, just like used can be a great deal.

but when you buy used you save something from a landfill whereas when you buy Chinese you are contributing to pollution and resource depletion.

buying used is basically recycling.  should be considered honorable like adopting kids or pets from a shelter.

not that there is something wrong with supporting people in China but if you're going to use resources to build something it should be built to last not go into landfill 2 weeks later.

frankly there should be minimum warranty lengths mandated by government and refusal to honor the warranty punished by death via a drone strike.

we will get there too.  in Soviet Union things lasted FOREVER ( literally ! nothing was EVER replaced ).

if you can't build something that lasts you should let somebody else do it.

Edited by Line Array - 11 April 2022 at 9:06pm

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 7:04pm

i wouldn't buy a used class D either simply because they keep improving.

but linear amps have peaked about 20 years ago already so buying new doesn't make a lot of sense.

Aye. Last new amp I bought was a bit of a shot in the dark - but came recommended from a friend that saw them in France.

Here:-

https://forum.speakerplans.com/names-of-chinese-digital-amps-please_topic104929_post1039357.html?KW=Taichee#1039357

(Scroll up a bit for pictures)

Or:-

Got to love the name!   LOL LOL LOL

AND - they have proven to be solid & reliable. What more could you want?

Edited by Earplug - 11 April 2022 at 7:06pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:50am
i wouldn't buy a used class D either simply because they keep improving.

but linear amps have peaked about 20 years ago already so buying new doesn't make a lot of sense.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>