Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why did QSC discontinue PL 340 and PL 325 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why did QSC discontinue PL 340 and PL 325 ?
    Posted: 10 April 2022 at 11:46am
was it simply to avoid confusion because 340 and 325 were class H and 380 class D ?

but then they're doing a poor job because the rejects still list both class H and class D on the PL 380 page.

basically was there something wrong with them or did they simply decide they didn't need them in the lineup ?

because distortion specs at moderate power ( like for home use ) look really impressive but if they were discontinued to to a defect then picking them up used doesn't seem like a great idea ...
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 12:00pm
Just getting old and they brought out some new amps that could replace the 325 and 340.
Dorian Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorian Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 2:45pm
GXD 8  or PL380 should be replacement, 

>basically was there something wrong with them or....

there is no market anymore for PL340  PL325 mass production

todays costumer want buy Class D
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 6:58am
buying a linear ( class AB / H ) amp new is pretty dumb ...

but they are a good value on the used market because everybody is selling and nobody is buying ...

the opposite for class D ...

there isn't a single QSC PL380 on sale on Ebay for example ... 

nobody wants to sell a light, efficient and reliable amp ...

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

buying a linear ( class AB / H ) amp new is pretty dumb ...

but they are a good value on the used market because everybody is selling and nobody is buying ...

the opposite for class D ...

there isn't a single QSC PL380 on sale on Ebay for example ...

nobody wants to sell a light, efficient and reliable amp ...

Your 2 statements contradict each other. Either "everyone" is selling their old amps, or they're not. I'd say that there aren't any PL380's around for sale, because no one that has them wants to sell!  Smile

Try buy something reliable like an old QSC, or Crest and you'll have to search - and pay a fair amount. They definitely keep their value - unlike the plethora of Class D you can find these days - most of which will never last as long as a decent old Class G or H. I would never buy a 2nd hand Class D if I didn't know it's history, or previous owner very well. Whereas give me an old 7001/8001, no problem!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:50am
i wouldn't buy a used class D either simply because they keep improving.

but linear amps have peaked about 20 years ago already so buying new doesn't make a lot of sense.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 7:04pm

i wouldn't buy a used class D either simply because they keep improving.

but linear amps have peaked about 20 years ago already so buying new doesn't make a lot of sense.

Aye. Last new amp I bought was a bit of a shot in the dark - but came recommended from a friend that saw them in France.

Here:-

https://forum.speakerplans.com/names-of-chinese-digital-amps-please_topic104929_post1039357.html?KW=Taichee#1039357

(Scroll up a bit for pictures)

Or:-

Got to love the name!   LOL LOL LOL

AND - they have proven to be solid & reliable. What more could you want?

Edited by Earplug - 11 April 2022 at 7:06pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:01pm
to me Chinese company products are never "new" since they never come with the kind of warranty, support or return policy that new products come with.

they cost the same as used products because you get a cat in a box same as with used products.

doesn't mean it is a bad deal, just like used can be a great deal.

but when you buy used you save something from a landfill whereas when you buy Chinese you are contributing to pollution and resource depletion.

buying used is basically recycling.  should be considered honorable like adopting kids or pets from a shelter.

not that there is something wrong with supporting people in China but if you're going to use resources to build something it should be built to last not go into landfill 2 weeks later.

frankly there should be minimum warranty lengths mandated by government and refusal to honor the warranty punished by death via a drone strike.

we will get there too.  in Soviet Union things lasted FOREVER ( literally ! nothing was EVER replaced ).

if you can't build something that lasts you should let somebody else do it.

Edited by Line Array - 11 April 2022 at 9:06pm

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:19pm
Mandate warranty, yes. Drone strikes, really every case need to be judged on its own merits.
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 4:41am

we will get there too.  in Soviet Union things lasted FOREVER ( literally ! nothing was EVER replaced ).

if you can't build something that lasts you should let somebody else do it.

I don't think Vladimir is going to last much longer, one way or another LOL
Turn it up! Turn what up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 6:56am
Vlad didn't invent sustainability.

sustainability means you never get to replace what you have.

if you are even allowed to have anything in the first place.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2022 at 9:04am
"sustainability means you never get to replace what you have."

Sustainability & saving precious resourses is an interesting subject - and to me means sticking with my 30+ year old amps, that I know do the job, are still reliable and are easy to maintain/fix when necessary.

And I just find the idea of replacing "stuff" that still works fine for the latest shiny shite a bit stupid and really wasteful. Like the people that continually buy new clothes to keep up with the fashion trends, maybe wear something once or twice and then toss it. Totally absurd!   Dead

Edited by Earplug - 12 April 2022 at 9:05am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>