Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans to go with 186 horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans to go with 186 horn
    Posted: 27 April 2022 at 5:43pm
Whats up,

Im pretty new to all this, im currently building my own sound system and I have built a few 186 horns.

Im after some advice on what plans to go with for kick bass and mids and tops to accompany the 186 horn. Im thinking hd15’s? But unsure what would go well with the 186 horn in regards to mid/tops

Apologies if this has been asked before, and appreciate any advice 
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:16pm
Seeeing that the 186 horn is now in its 21st year I guess that this question has been asked before.

The 186 is loud & not very deep in its bass response compared with more modern tastes. But is optimised for mid bass frequencies anyway. So a matching mid top from that era would be the MT122 which is efficient enough to keep up.
Most would probably recommend buying some active speakers on poles these days, as its getting increasingly difficult to compete with the performance of these with DIY builds.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 9:13pm
Agree with what Xoc1 said above! Personally I think if wanting more kick out of a pair of 186 horns my answer would be getting another pair LOL 
Rhizo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 9:57pm
Thanks appreciate the answers and info.

Doing a lot of research and there are other views about this topic and saying a kick bin would complement the 186 horn.

Im planning to build 4-6 in total so maybe there might be enough low end there.
The Mt122 has been on my list of possibilities and could be the one I go with, I was looking for more of a unique design but also want it to function so dont want to sacrifice sound over uniqueness.

Yea I have active gear as well and there are more modern designs to go with but for me there is something about the 186 horn with its low end sound and frequency, also not a straight forward build and design which gives it that personality when built right and keeping the old sound system culture is important I feel regardless of what you build, a lot of people have built sound systems before me and each one has its own sound and uniqueness which is the result im going for

Edited by Rhizo - 27 April 2022 at 9:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply