Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 71>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 7:03pm
So basically there not British amplifiers....there Japanese ones...Ouch
EmPro Audio
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

Another British monster amplifier C Audio RA3000 saved from the faith of getting in the bin,the seller sold it as faulty,stuck in protect mode,the actual fault was the soft start relay..was stuck open so the amplifier couldn't get proper power supply to work...i just tap the relay and the amplifier is working great on both ch,turned on and off 10 times,the relay seems to work just fine now,the top lid is 2.2kg on this ,,thing" LOL

I miss my old C Audios, I had a few XR3801's for many years and they were proper workhorses. 'Only' 1200w per channel but they were monstrous on bass! :)

Edited by njw - 07 March 2023 at 9:01pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 9:31pm
XR’s and SR’s were great. RA’s I always found gutless and not very reliable 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

XR’s and SR’s were great. RA’s I always found gutless and not very reliable 

Gutless because of the heating issues :) as the laterals limits the output when temperature rises,if you keep them cool..no problem,there not gutless at all,you just need to work little bit on them,this one will have a nice cooling sistem fitted soon :)
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 9:55pm
 I miss my old C Audios, I had a few XR3801's for many years and they were proper workhorses. 'Only' 1200w per channel but they were monstrous on bass! :)

Only ,,1200w" per channel proper continuous watts all day and night long...these days you can call that amp 2x10.000w easly.....
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 10:10pm
From the cooling point this ,,RA3000" is by far better Big smile it blows serious amount of air on the sideways,the outputs don't have a chance to overheat,i had this amp abused hardly with stunning results and never let me down.

Edited by EmPro - 07 March 2023 at 10:16pm
EmPro Audio
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 10:45pm
In the early 1970s I worked in a main Comet service department and from memory, I would say that about 30% of all the Solarvox amps that were sold came back in for repair---They were the most unreliable item that Comet ever sold but they were run close by Autovox TVs which were nearly as bad but one bonus was that they kept a lot of good engineers in a job mending them.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

In the early 1970s I worked in a main Comet service department and from memory, I would say that about 30% of all the Solarvox amps that were sold came back in for repair---They were the most unreliable item that Comet ever sold but they were run close by Autovox TVs which were nearly as bad but one bonus was that they kept a lot of good engineers in a job mending them.

If only 30% came back for repairs it means there was reliable...most of the customers that time were dumb as hell and had no ideea how to use an amplifier..they just sick in them any speaker they found...no matter what impedance..power etc etc...the amplifiers in that time had rough life...well....this is happening even these days...but not so much :) i can't say unreliable as they work even now after 50 years and they use quality parts to be honest,you will find that for stupid customers nothing is reliable ever as they have a nice talent to blow up everything they put there hands on. LOLLOLLOL
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 10:41am
That RA3000 does look very sweet -- but the cooling is obviously not well designed. Just one fan, relatively far from the heatsink - and no tunneling or anything. I imagine that it would overheat.  Disapprove

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

That RA3000 does look very sweet -- but the cooling is obviously not well designed. Just one fan, relatively far from the heatsink - and no tunneling or anything. I imagine that it would overheat.  Disapprove

Yeah....indeed the RA series had poor cooling design,that's the reason people call them gutless and unreliable,but in reality are proper overengineered workhorses and with proper cooling is almost imposibile to damage one,all the damages on these series was caused by inefficient cooling,the most efficient way to modd a RA is to drill holes on the both opposite sides of the heatsink and fit two high speed fans..one to pull air and one to push air...the sideways of the heatsink needs to be blocked from the rest of the pcb,so the entire mass of air will travel with speed thru all outputs and ,,tunnel" heatsink,the back fan can be removed and hole covered nice with blank plate,so the amplifier never going to dump crap in the sensitive dc protection circuits,and like this you solve the biggest problems and the only ones with RA series.

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 11:08am
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:21am
There is another way to modd a RA....to fit on top of outputs 2 or even 4 high speed fans fixed in top lid from inside,that will suck air from outside and blow it right on top of the outputs...also the heatsink must be blocked on sides and at both ends holes are needed to push the hot air outside the amp...but this design is inefficient if you put the amp in rack install...so..the first option remains the best so far,however if you don't use the amp in rack install but separate..this is by far best cooling sistem you can do for it to keep it ice cold Smile and i'm 200% sure it wont be gutless anymore Big smile

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 11:23am
EmPro Audio
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:53am
A modern amp might only still do 1200W continuous but it will also do 5000W peaks, very useful for high BL 6" coil subwoofer drivers.  Sure if your bass lines are literally sine waves the modern amp is not an advantage but for most genres the modern amp will be much louder before significant output waveform distortion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 71>