Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 71>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 12:10pm
An amp should be linear as possible in amplitude,if your amp jumps from 1.000w rms in 5.000w and betwin when he wants to...then your speakers are doomed,these days this is normal...that's the reason why people change half of the're pa gear after 3-4 gigs....this is what industry want,to buy and buy and buy and buy again...on top of that..we don't have good speakers anymore....more like ,,20inch" 20.000w voice coil heat converters....people ask for more inches in a coil and more watts...not for more SPL so the industry give them what they want....soon we're going to be unable to cover 50 ppl in a hallway with 2.000w rms.

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 12:12pm
EmPro Audio
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 12:42pm
Sorry but that is absolute Bu¥$€>it…

Modern amplifiers with dynamic headroom do not burn drivers, quite the opposite. I have been running this type of amps since i first purchased LG PLM’s back in 2007, and in all that time and 1000’s of events have NEVER burned a driver. Not one.

Your post also displays a complete misunderstanding of how such amplifiers behave- they don’t jump in output when they feel like it, this would require gain to jump around, which is does not. What the peak power does enable is for the amplifier to more accurately track the music and improve efficiency in both amplification and loudspeakers.

In term, this also reduces trucking requirements, raw material requirements, energy use and carbon footprint, all of which are increasingly important in today’s world 

Edited by csg - 08 March 2023 at 12:48pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Sorry but that is absolute Bu¥$€>it…

Modern amplifiers with dynamic headroom do not burn drivers, quite the opposite. I have been running this type of amps since i first purchased LG PLM’s back in 2007, and in all that time and 1000’s of events have NEVER burned a driver. Not one.

Yeah....sure...you must be the only one from the planet earth who managed that ever,so i'll pass thanks LOLLOL
EmPro Audio
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 1:05pm
Err, every touring act, every production company with modern equipment etc etc, where are all these piles of burnt out drivers?

Am i alone? I don't think i am….

Sure, failures still happen, but compared with when I started out 30 years ago, the failure rate is FAR FAR smaller

Unless you are calling me a liar?

Edited by csg - 08 March 2023 at 1:06pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 1:06pm
It seems you have no ideea how music sinwaves work.....and also have no ideea how non linear amplifiers deal with sinwaves....so i don't losse my time explaining why a linear amplifier is far superior to your peak and non linear craps,you just said that a non linear amplifier doesn't jump in power as he wants,it depends on gain,but how you manage the gain my friend?? If one freq specific is amplified at 1kw,other at 3kw,other at 5kw?? Ohhh yeahh...you need 3 racks of dbx,limiters,crossovers,equalizers and so on to drive a damn full range cabinet...well no thank you,i prefer linear amplification!
EmPro Audio
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 1:07pm
Keep digging that hole
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 3:18pm
Same here, not a single damaged driver since using modern amps with DSP and proper limiters. Used to have RA3000's Not really what I'd describe as a 'monster'. 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by MPASOUND MPASOUND wrote:

Same here, not a single damaged driver since using modern amps with DSP and proper limiters. Used to have RA3000's Not really what I'd describe as a 'monster'. 

That's what i'm saying...if you use DSP,DBX,Limiters bla bla bla you can use any fking crap chinese amplifiers if you wish,they won't blow a single driver,but the quality of sound is damn crap,how comes that i never used limiters and craps on my Pa and i never blow nothing,not a single amp,not a single driver,you know why?? BECAUSE I WELL KNOW MY DAMN STUFF AND HOW TO USE IT simple as that,i don't need limiters,dsp-s and craps to do that for me,I'm a damn Electronics Engineer,not a cable pulling guy that only knows to plug things there and there,i make the things to work as i want to,and i don't have any problems with that. Obviously people with low knowledge of what there doin they need all sorts of craps and help to make something to work without the magic smoke to be present.
EmPro Audio
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 3:52pm
Confused
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 4:05pm
Is not about old amplifiers ar crap because they blow drivers lol and the new amplifiers are godlike because they don't blow drivers,if you know your stuff you won't blow nothing,if you don't know?? Then yeah....i sugest not to play around with old proper power amplifiers...as they will blow your drivers...and maybe the amplifier as well,so are we clear on this matter??

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 4:06pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 4:13pm
Back on topic now,here i got a Roland SRA-50 as faulty,the seller mentioned big ,,bruum" from the main transformer...the actual fault was the NPN output transistor from the right ch shorted to ground Confused and the superdiode transistor ripped off from the mainboard...after sorting things out,the amplifier is in good working order now Smile
EmPro Audio
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 4:16pm
Oh

All my industry contracts with a combined 1000’s year’s experience and countless degrees (i myself am in that list) must be wrong

All those golden ear £500 a day mix engineers must be deaf

All those company owners who chose to invest in new technology must be wrong

And you must be right!

But just a moment, no professionals avoid new and advantageous technologies, no tours are going out with ancient, inefficient, heavy and inconsistent amp racks and no manufacturers involved in the professional sector are still making these products- BECAUSE there is NO demand

Now, don’t get me wrong, ive no issues with people wanting to repair, revere or use heavy iron amps, in fact a good friend of mine does just that, but i do have a BIG problem when people come on here spouting absolute nonsense and claiming it to be the truth. On a technical forum where people look for advice.

I also have a problem when people make assumptions about my knowledge, let me assure you that im no “cable puller“ 

And I'm still not exactly how you come to the conclusion that an amplifier that is burst rated and designed to deliver dynamic power is less linear than an amplifier with 30-70V rails that will hit clip at a much lower SPL for a given dynamic range? The amplifier that can deliver the peaks without hitting the buffers is more linear to the source, and that is NOT the heavy iron amp.

As to limiters and DSP, well limiters have been employed since the birth of large scale re-enforcement, they were using them at woodstock. DSP is simply a more modern tool to replace the less linear and worse sounding analogue crossovers and EQ units of the past. Trust me, if system engineers decades ago had today’s technology they would have used it in a heartbeat.

So, by all means keep up your fine work restoring technology of the past, and if you prefer it, then that’s absolutely fine too, thats your prerogative. BUT don't tell me that I and countless other professionals all around the world are idiots for moving with the times.

Edited by csg - 08 March 2023 at 4:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 71>