Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 71>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 4:24pm
Well...take a SS of your comment and read that after hmmmm 3 or 4 years from now,then maybe you will get the point Wink i didn't said i'm against new tech,i said i'm against modern craps,i did also fixed LAB'S FP10000Q,QSC PFC's,RAM's,but not all the people of the planet or this group have 10k to spend on just one  amplifier because is new tech and good,most of people don't do concerts as you mentioned etc,so for us is 100 times better to buy a proper old amplifier rathler then use same money to buy for example a Crown CLS1000,i prefer MT1200 for the same money,at least you can call that an amplifier and not a door bell,So you got the point now?? We don't have 2.000.000£ to spend on modern Pa's and for the same money that cost a crap modern junk we can buy a proper older amplifier that is by far superior.

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 5:13pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 5:27pm
Btw....5 years ago i-ve been called to visit D.H.E Productions in Ipswich UK,they had in that time only H.K Cabs and Speakers powered only by Lab's FP10.000Q and you know what?? In every event they had they blow up at least one of the FP10.000q and god know how many drivers.....they had 3 Engineers there plus the owner of the company so.....please....i solved there problem in 5 minutes,and since then they have zero faults in amps or drivers...so don't mention me about ,,engineers" as i know a lot of them useing modern PA and blow them up regullary,you don't beleve me? Please feel free to give them a call and ask them who saved them from blowing there PA on each event.
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 5:48pm
Yes, I'd say that each company will go for what they feel best - or more convenient for them. I've also seen those LAB FP10.000Q's go horribly wrong and cause all sorts of problems. One big company here recently got rid of theirs - in favour of MC2's!  Smile

I'd also say that the weight savings in Class D, etc. is what makes the difference for a lot of people. Like LED lighting.

It's been ages since I've needed to break out the 8mm2, 3 phase cabling. Definitely easier on the back, but as someone that has tried several Class D's - and returned, or better stuck with my "old skool" amps, I'd say that there is definitely a big difference in sound quality. And I've yet to find any engineer complain when they see old Crest Pro Series amps, rather than the latest lightweight sensation.  LOL

And I'd be very surprised to see any of the modern stuff still putting it out in 20 or 30 years time. Today it's all use it for a few years and then off to the dump. Not exactly good for the environment!  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 5:58pm
This i was trying to say all day long....but....and to be honest a damn LAB FP10000Q is not a cheap amplifier and yet they blow up like a crap 100£ class D chinese rubbish,i remember when people used rack-s of Crown MacroTech's and Crest Pro Series for events and never saw one blowing up...drivers yes...because they overpowered them..but the amps?? Never ever....and the price of a new MacroTech don't even compare with a price of a  Lab! So where is the fking quality these days? And why we need to pay thousands of pounds for this new tech that falls apart in 2-3 years?!?! THIS IS MY QUESTION,and as i mentioned before i'm not against new tech..i'm against new crap tech and i don't feel ok to change all my PA sistem every 2 years because is done....no thank you.

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 6:04pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 6:16pm
But most of the people from here don't own there own pa,so is easy to bla bla new tech is the best bla bla bla no problem bla bla we are the best and the rest are monkeys with ancient tech...but the mind setup changes when you pay 50k for a setup that goes in bin after 10 events....and you didn't even got the money you spent on it...however...who has milions of pounds this is not a problem,but not in my case LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL so i'm sorry if i offended anyone,as Mr Earplug said...we deal with what we have and suits our needings. Cheers

Edited by EmPro - 08 March 2023 at 6:21pm
EmPro Audio
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 9:51pm
I've no idea what you are on about and have yet to meet anyone who has had all these issues that you speak of.And I am definitely not a believer in the new is always better thing. I don't have millions of pounds and everything I buy has to pay for itself.
I have owned dozens of brands of amplifier and can safely say that there hasn't been one that has been 100% reliable. My old Crest 9001's would go bang in spectacular fashion on a fairly regular basis. Sent several Crown VZ's back for repair too. C-Audio, Labs, Camco etc. all the same. But none of them toasted speakers when used properly. 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 9:06am
Exactly,not the amplifiers blow drivers,the users do,doesn't matter,new or old amplifiers!
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:45pm
"I have owned dozens of brands of amplifier"

Yup. Anyone that has done this for any number of years will have gone through the same experience. I think that I've stuck with my Crests due to them surviving an (accidental) 380v supply f-up. (METER YOUR MAINS!!).   Shocked

The main On/Off switch is also a safety breaker - and that saved them - and the gig! Offhand, I can't think of any other amp that would have done the same.  Smile

The Crest 001's definitely need regular/proper cleaning due to the way they're packed inside - but then, which amp doesn't do better with a regular clear out? Loads of crap inside will just add heat & other problems.

The only Crest I've ever "lost" was due to a bit of crap causing a short on one o/p device. No big repair.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:52pm
Crest Audio was and is my go to for sound quality and reliability. The only other brand I've used that's equaled or surpassed them is Cloud Electronics.
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:59pm
It was a good few years ago now and someone on here may remember better than me but there was an issue with the Crest board design and some high voltage tracks were a little closer together then maybe they should have been? A little smoke fluid, some dust and boom! It was always the same channel if I remember. Other than that and needing a very stiff mains supply to switch them on the 9001's were one of my favourite bass amps.
Good point with the Cloud amps. TBF I've never needed to have one of those repaired! 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 2:07pm
The old amps were trashed badly and there keep going....i got amps from Crest,Crown,QSC in for repairs....man...they thrash them untill the fans stops spinning from the crap acumulated inside...you cannot even see the parts on the board anymore...and most of the customers said: ,,dunno what's wrong with it..the last 3-4 years worked fine...but now for no reason it shuts down...or cut the power"
So yeah...for no reason...except the 5kg of crap and dirt from inside..and except for the blocked fans..in some cases i cannot even spin them with my hand....some customers blow my mind when told me that they need to use nails or someting hard to spin the fans in the amplifiers to start them up....i was like...dude...so much idiots on such a small planet...and i bet those are the kind of users that complains about blowing drivers...about blowing 20 amps per mounth etc etc....
Imagine my surprise when on one of my PA lines composed of 11 Crown Macrotech i opened all and recalibrate the bias as i do every 6-12months depends of many factors,however i did all 11 of them and prepare them for a 3.000km journey,on arrival at destination i started all of them...all good so far,all started odep fine,out of curiosity i opened quickly one MT1200 to check the bias values again...and damn surprise...waaay out of range...i said daamn not good....not even one of the 11 amplifiers was in proper bias value anymore...not even close to...so yeah...the 3.000km journey screw them up badly...and if i was to use them like that..most sure i'll have couple of drivers blown..and the amps will performed like crap...furtunately for me i calibrate them all again and no probelm at all! I even used couple of them down to 2R stereo and after more then 12hr performed they blow normal temperature on the sides,not even close to overheat or even heath,some musicians camed straight away and put there hands on them after we finish,they expected to be red hot..and they were like: what the hell man,what kind of amplifiers are these? Is like you didn't even turn them ON!!!
I was just laughing and told them that those are proper USA amplifiers and not some chinese blue led craps they used with LOLLOL

Edited by EmPro - 09 March 2023 at 2:19pm
EmPro Audio
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 2:09pm
Cloud amps were expensive for the perceived specs on paper. A CX-A4 was over £1000 20 years ago, and was only rated 4x120w @4ohms. Less if all channels were fully loaded. But I've returned to venues many years later, and unless the intakes were properly clogged they were still running fine. Even left on 24/7. Add to that first rate support from Julian and the team for help with complicated multi zone systems and they were worth every penny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 71>