Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 71>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"Carver PM 1200 the worst amp design i ever worked so far..."

Aaah - the famous "Magnetic Field Amplifier" design. I'm surprised that there are any of those still about. They were terrible. The exact opposite of KISS....   Dead

Yes indeed. never liked any of the Carver range.  Whenever you see a pile of old non-working spares or repairs amps, garenteed to find a Carver in the there. Oh, and a Hill chameleon too. LOL
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:27am
Serious deterioration of the PCB tracks there, im surprised some of those tracks still conduct! Almost needs point-to point re-wiring.

Be seeing you.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:39am
carver amps are not allowed any further than my doormat.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:41am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

"Carver PM 1200 the worst amp design i ever worked so far..."

Aaah - the famous "Magnetic Field Amplifier" design. I'm surprised that there are any of those still about. They were terrible. The exact opposite of KISS....   Dead

Yes indeed. never liked any of the Carver range.  Whenever you see a pile of old non-working spares or repairs amps, garenteed to find a Carver in the there. Oh, and a Hill chameleon too. LOL

You're not wrong there!!  LOL LOL LOL

Door stops:-

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:41am
Morning gents,well...it might be a pain in the deep central nervous sistem to work on one of these Carvers...but after i got it on i was pleased with the sound,and more important is the fact that all the semiconductors were totally fine,to be honest,the only reason why i lost my time fixing this thing was because i never heard a Carver amp and i was pure curious,now i wanna see how much will last before blowing up again LOL
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:46am

Serious deterioration of the PCB tracks there, im surprised some of those tracks still conduct! Almost needs point-to point re-wiring.

Looks bad because were covered with that white ,,thing'' but only the exposed circuits were affected,but after i clean them the circuits are fine,no damage taken by any means...that white ,,thing'' just sit on them doing nothing except makeing soldering a living hell Dead
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:51am
It could be salt water as Mr Elliot said...as is not the usual oxide...the copper oxide is usualy green and makes the circuits brown to black...this one makes them white Dead but anyway this toy has still some life left in it..however i'll never touch this ,,things'' again Dead

Edited by EmPro - 23 May 2023 at 10:52am
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:24am
"all the semiconductors were totally fine"

Yes - they do have a good load of TO3's you can recycle and put to good use elsewhere...  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:35am

"all the semiconductors were totally fine"

Yes - they do have a good load of TO3's you can recycle and put to good use elsewhere...  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Yep,24 of them LOLLOL
EmPro Audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:38pm
By the way, where's the heatsink in that? Or is it just relying on that single sheet of aluminium with a few slots cut in it? Would be fine with 4 or maybe 8 T03's, but can't see that being enough for 24.  No expense spared when they made that! LOL

Edited by jbl_man - 23 May 2023 at 12:38pm
Be seeing you.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 2:32pm

By the way, where's the heatsink in that? Or is it just relying on that single sheet of aluminium with a few slots cut in it? Would be fine with 4 or maybe 8 T03's, but can't see that being enough for 24.  No expense spared when they made that! LOL

Well...basically all the body is made from aluminum and serves as heatsink :) and is class G so is useing just as much outputs it needs for a certain output power :) and you can see how many pairs of outputs is useing from the front vu-meters as they show that.
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 6:44pm
Well,my work on Carver PM-1200 is done...now will see how much will last LOL

Edited by EmPro - 26 May 2023 at 11:29am
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 71>