Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 71>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:13pm
As we all know already there's always room for major improvements in any amplifier ever made on this planet,doesn't matter if manufactured in 1960's or 2045 LOLLOL
The only amplifiers i didn't do any sort of modds in them are the Crown Macrotech/Microtech/Powertech series and the ASHLY FET2000m and FTX2001 Series 3,coz i like the way they perform and the ASHLY's are damn overengineered,they play just fine at 1r on outputs,they made these amps to perform in low impedance as the power in 8r is just 250wpc from 16 outputs....a joke isn't it? but as soon as you go under 4r per ch...they show what are capabile of Big smile now imagine to fit dual die lateral fets on these amps....will be like 16 outputs per ch....damn....LOLLOL will be an 0.1r per ch stabile amp (if psu can keep the task) LOLLOL like the old CS800 Comercial Series the 4U monsters with 10 outputs per ch plus 2 drivers that helps as well...if in good working order they play dead short on output at full volume untill the thermal relay kicks in without any sort of internal parts damage Clap and this was tested by me as i have one home,as well as a BGW 750b not the same amps by far btw.
Happy as well with Macrotech's on 2r jobs if proper biased 300-320mvdc on each side of the outputs (2 adjustments per ch needed)

Edited by EmPro - 02 July 2022 at 1:49pm
EmPro Audio
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 2:10pm
Pretty sure that Austin Armstrong amplifiers were done / designed by someone at C-Audio or an ex-C-Audio engineer (Lee, was it anything to do with you ?) Wink
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by simonp1100 simonp1100 wrote:

Pretty sure that Austin Armstrong amplifiers were done / designed by someone at C-Audio or an ex-C-Audio engineer (Lee, was it anything to do with you ?) Wink

Indeed looks like a combination of RA and ST c-audio's now that you mention it,hmmm Confused

EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 2:57pm
Boost DA-1000
Bought from ebay as untested,one volume pot has been changed the knob losted,and one binding post broken,after visual inspection i fired it up and is working as it should without any issues,when i will have time i will make it pieces and restore it,no much info about this amp on google,but as the back panel says: 2x300w 8r and 2x400w 4r,judging by the massive psu it has...i beleve the specs are true LOLLOL

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 2:33pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:15pm
Sorry about the photo,ss from an old video of an Klynstrom Mosfet 1200 amplifier that i bought as faulty and ideed it was,broken solderings all over the place...i found the dc relay flying around in the case,most of the mosfets with legs off the pcb,he was giveing to me some work to do,the heatsinks are live so isolated from the amp ground case as the mosfets are fitted with no isolation betwin them and heatsink,so after i make it peaces and restore it the amp was working just fine and the sound is amazing,as specs we can say he easly deliver 2x600w rms in 4r,have 10 outputs per ch single die lateral mosfets in my case here 5 Exicon 10N20 and 5 Exicon 10P20 Ps: Still own this one back home Big smile

Edited by EmPro - 29 May 2022 at 4:21pm
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

Boost DA-1000
Bought from ebay as untested,one volume pot has been changed and knob losted,and one binding post broken,after visual inspection i fired it up and is working as it should without any issues,when i will have time i will make it pieces and restore it,no much info about this amp on google,but as the back panel says: 2x300w 8r and 2x400w 4r,judging by the massive psu it has...i beleve the specs are true LOLLOL

Man - I do love these old amps with male XLR's on the O/P! A repairman's dream!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Austin Armstrong 403 C Mk 2
Nice lateral mosfet amplifier
2x200w 4r
2 pairs of outputs per ch
Faults: broken connectors and joints (toured way to much i guess)
Also the main board have slots empty for more outputs so..i filed up for more stability Big smile

I like everything about this post. From the name that sounds like a 60s British car to the unnessecary filling of empty slots. Man's got his Partridge on!

Adding an extra 14amp per ch is not quite unnecessary when you play flat in low impedances mate Wink my amplifiers are all bulletproof Smile and if is space for,why not? you gain thermal stability,less thd and stress on the outputs as being connected in parallel they share the total output current,so less current for each output device mean less heat dissipation etc etc5

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I am very much a fan of the over engineered, turbo charged and Top Fuel loaded just for the Hell 'uv it! Maybe next time the Perp should Just dig a deeper hole after he/she has killed something!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:29pm
ITS ALIVE!!!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Boost DA-1000
Bought from ebay as untested,one volume pot has been changed and knob losted,and one binding post broken,after visual inspection i fired it up and is working as it should without any issues,when i will have time i will make it pieces and restore it,no much info about this amp on google,but as the back panel says: 2x300w 8r and 2x400w 4r,judging by the massive psu it has...i beleve the specs are true LOLLOL

Man - I do love these old amps with male XLR's on the O/P! A repairman's dream!   LOL

Yeah....hate this one too LOLLOL 99% of the output devices failure comes from this LOLLOL

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 2:57pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:40pm

Austin Armstrong 403 C Mk 2
Nice lateral mosfet amplifier
2x200w 4r
2 pairs of outputs per ch
Faults: broken connectors and joints (toured way to much i guess)
Also the main board have slots empty for more outputs so..i filed up for more stability Big smile

I like everything about this post. From the name that sounds like a 60s British car to the unnessecary filling of empty slots. Man's got his Partridge on!

Adding an extra 14amp per ch is not quite unnecessary when you play flat in low impedances mate Wink my amplifiers are all bulletproof Smile and if is space for,why not? you gain thermal stability,less thd and stress on the outputs as being connected in parallel they share the total output current,so less current for each output device mean less heat dissipation etc etc5

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I am very much a fan of the over engineered, turbo charged and Top Fuel loaded just for the Hell 'uv it! Maybe next time the Perp should Just dig a deeper hole after he/she has killed something!

Got you mate Clap
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:10am
FBT Evolution 400E
2x200w 4r
Output modules are STK,this one comed as faulty due to a permanent background noise and a bad cosmetic shape,so after a full recap on the output board (5-6 capacitors) fully resoldered (toke me like 3hr to do it) including the mixer side,fixed the zobbel network as it was blown (i suspect some HF oscilation) fitted binding posts on outputs (original were jack's 6.35mm) and a full body paint the mixer is working great,the job was done 3yrs ago and is working since without any issues on two wharfedale pro evp12's Big smile and i must say..this toy have some guts.

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 11:15am
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:36am
Here is my beloved HH SM200 bought from Ebay faulty,and the faults was:
-Blown Output devices 2N3773HG
-Blown Drivers/predrivers
-Blown op-amp
-Blown supply op-amp zenners
-Blown bias superdiode transistors
-Blown psu capacitors
-Blown vu-meters lights
-And a dozen of resistors

What i did:
-Fitted new MJ21194G (OnSemi) Outputs
-Fitted new BD911/BD912 Driver and predriver transistors plus more efficient heatsinks on drivers
-Fitted new DIP 8 socket plus new op-amp (if my memory doesn't screw me i think it was LF351) and supply zenners
-Changed all the small transistors from the boards with MPSA42 MPSA92
-Replaced all the burnt resistors
-Fitted new samwha capacitors made for this from MAJ Electronics
-I moved the inputs on the back panel (looks more nice like this)
-Fitted binding posts on outputs
-Fitted output dc relay protection and coupling delay (no thumb anymore)
-Fitted white LED's in the vu-meteres
-New thermal paste were was needed
The mixer is working ice cold since then even if i run flat all day long in 4r load. Big smile still own it.

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 3:46pm
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 71>