Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifiers Rescue Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 71>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 12:00pm
Is currently driveing two full range 15inch tops 200w rms each 150w lf driver 50w Hf driver,and damn is loud as hell Big smile
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 12:45pm
Well...you don't do that on a 600w rms module CryCry
Studiomaster Powerhouse Horizon 1208 this was human mistake that could cost a lot,happened when was inspected i presume.

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 1:00pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:24pm
Poor HH VX-900 rusted to death...driver board with parts exploded...left ch outputs rusted and shorted to case,i rebuilded half of it and then due to cosmetic condition i just donate it to a guy who have a same one with a faulty ch,so the guy just stripped out my good ch and fitted in his one,now he enjoys a fully working HH VX-900 with a dozen of original spares Big smile

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 3:09pm
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:05pm
This happens when you run flat bridge and the fan stops spinning (not on my watch) CryCry Matrix UKP1300,all mosfets done...all drivers,dozen of resistors,small caps etc etc so obviously BER,he became donnor parts for my ex rusted UKP1000 and the other working UKP1300 i own. Wink

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 2:14pm
EmPro Audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:33pm
"This happens when you run flat bridge and the fan stops spinning"

Is there not a thermal cut-out on the heatsink? I'm looking hard, but can't see one from here?  
Be seeing you.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:22pm
Well,Andy calaims that all his amps are thermal protected and indeed this one have 4 thermal sensing ,,things'' looks like PTC-s straight in the heatsink filled with thermal paste but they didn't do nothing to prevent this amplifier to get hot to his destruction...the temperature was so big as the maiboard under the heatsink becomed yellow and the insulator was black from brown....so more then 120c were there....i pointed with the red arrows were the thermal ,,things'' are located,but no any mechanical thermal relay if you looking for one LOLLOL those 4 thermal tracking things (i call them things as i didn't even bother to measure them to see what they are,resistors,diodes etc etc)suppose to track the temperature of the heatsink and cut the speaker relay out...but somehow that didn't work...i'm sorry about the amp as it was well mentained,almost new Cry
If i'm wrong someone please enlight me,as no schematics available for these old UKP Series,and my other UKP1300 is still in good working order after 7 years of service on my watch,mainly used in stereo mode 4r per ch on full range,and i like what i hear Smile

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 4:35pm
EmPro Audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:06pm
How daft. Would have been so simple to just fit a $2 thermal switch, to chop the power at 70c or 90c etc. 
Be seeing you.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

How daft. Would have been so simple to just fit a $2 thermal switch, to chop the power at 70c or 90c etc. 

Indeed,simple as that....i don't know why Andy didn't do that...a 2$ 90c thermal switch would saved this poor amplifier from total destruction easly...you know what? i will do this mood for my other UKP1300 and UKP1000 to make sure that don't end up like this one if fan's go out.

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 5:43pm
EmPro Audio
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

Boost DA-1000
Bought from ebay as untested,one volume pot has been changed the knob losted,and one binding post broken,after visual inspection i fired it up and is working as it should without any issues,when i will have time i will make it pieces and restore it,no much info about this amp on google,but as the back panel says: 2x300w 8r and 2x400w 4r,judging by the massive psu it has...i beleve the specs are true LOLLOL

I'm sure I can remember Terralec selling those in the late 90's.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

This happens when you run flat bridge and the fan stops spinning (not on my watch) CryCry Matrix UKP1300,all mosfets done...all drivers,dozen of resistors,small caps etc etc so obviously BER,he became donnor parts for my ex rusted UKP1000 and the other working UKP1300 i own. Wink

Coincidentally, I had an STR2000 that suffered a dodgy fan, that also kept chugging away until it got very, very hot, luckily I noticed the electrical burning smell coming from the amp rack and shut it off before too much damage was done. If I recall correctly the only blown components were a couple of driver transistors so the amp still worked but was down on power. I was a big fan of the STR amps having owned or used every model over the years from the 600 right up to the 3000 but as they got older they became very 'needy' and there always seemed to be one of them away for repair.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:21pm
,,I'm sure I can remember Terralec selling those in the late 90's.''

These amps are build like a tank,if proper mentained will serve for another 32 years Big smile
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:33pm
,,Coincidentally, I had an STR2000 that suffered a dodgy fan, that also kept chugging away until it got very, very hot, luckily I noticed the electrical burning smell coming from the amp rack and shut it off before too much damage was done. If I recall correctly the only blown components were a couple of driver transistors so the amp still worked but was down on power. I was a big fan of the STR amps having owned or used every model over the years from the 600 right up to the 3000 but as they got older they became very 'needy' and there always seemed to be one of them away for repair.''

Well mate,every amp made in good days that have more then 10 years on service needs to be 100% restored,all the way down to pieces and rebuild back with proper resolderings all over the boards,thermal paste changed if no pads ofcourse,all capacitors checked,power resistors were big currents are flowing checked,and i ensure you that you have a nice and proper amp running for another 10 years easly,but most of the people don't do that so that's why old amps keeps falling,most of the people don't even clean the dust out of them....not to mention about bias and offset adjustments....from hundreds and hundreds of amps that i fixed,checked etc not even one been in correct bias value....and we all know what happens if you play with wrong bias Confused

Edited by EmPro - 30 May 2022 at 6:41pm
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 71>