Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade compression driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade compression driver?
    Posted: 22 June 2022 at 10:00am
I currently have a unity horn with a 1.4" P-Audio BMD740. It sounds amazing but the compression driver starts distorting before the rest at high volume.

I was wondering how much of an improvement upgrading this would be?

What drivers would you recommend?

The rest of the drivers are faital pro 3" and 6"

Cemetery Sounds
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 3:35pm
Nice looking stack.
What is the crossover frequency for those and what other processing is applied?

Edited by Conanski - 22 June 2022 at 3:36pm
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 4:26pm
Thanks Smile

On the horn it's: 

150 - 510 bass
510 - 1190 mid
1190+ top

On the comp I have this EQ:

1.47khz -4db Q: 1.6
20khz +3db Q: 1.6
Cemetery Sounds
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 4:46pm
I found a post on DIYAudio where someone recorded quite a few compression drivers for comparison.

It sounds like the B&C DE82TN would definitely be a big upgrade so I might go for that.

Has anyone used the DE980TN vs the DE82TN, would it be worth going for that although it is around twice the price?

Edit: the DE980TN isn't in stock. Seems like they are newer and have a better high frequency response so I might go for the DE780TN

Edited by immortal - 22 June 2022 at 5:08pm
Cemetery Sounds
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 7:03pm
The 780TN is comparable to the DE900 regarding its sound characteristic.
DE82TN is also 4.5kg compared to the 980's 2.3kg. If you want something similar to the 980, you could look at the 880. It is basically the same driver, however the 980 has a bigger magnet which gives it a higher efficiency.

immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:26am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

The 780TN is comparable to the DE900 regarding its sound characteristic.
DE82TN is also 4.5kg compared to the 980's 2.3kg. If you want something similar to the 980, you could look at the 880. It is basically the same driver, however the 980 has a bigger magnet which gives it a higher efficiency.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the 880 but it is also out of stock on bluearan and estimated 3-5 months.

How is the 780TN compared to the DE82TN in regards to sound?
Cemetery Sounds
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 7:59am
FaitalPro HF146 is what I put in my unity horns. Doesn't distort at hight volume like the P-Audio driver does - I did try them both. Sure the B&C drivers will be good but I think I chose the Fatial because it had a lower resonance frequency  that didn't interfere with the crossover too badly.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 8:33am
I don't have any experience with the 82TN but do have with the DE800 (which is nice).
In my latest 12" BR +HF I also use de HF146, very nice driver but definitely different due to the diaphragm material.
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 9:33am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

FaitalPro HF146 is what I put in my unity horns. Doesn't distort at hight volume like the P-Audio driver does - I did try them both. Sure the B&C drivers will be good but I think I chose the Fatial because it had a lower resonance frequency  that didn't interfere with the crossover too badly.

That is a good shout, I have ordered a HF146.

I think the recommended crossover frequency on the B&C would possibly be a bit high
Cemetery Sounds
CastanedaZarate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CastanedaZarate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 3:08am
Thanks for sharing of such a vivid photo!
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 2:29pm
The driver has arrived today, I will hopefully fit it tomorrow. 

Will see how it does and hopefully post some measurements of it
Cemetery Sounds
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 5:39am
i don't believe in unity horns.

point sources are for low output systems.

line arrays for high output systems.

unity horns try to get high output from a point source.

in my experience they are used primarily by amateurs who have been brainwashed on internet forums which ban anybody who criticizes Danley.

if you aren't getting enough clean output from a point source learn the science of line arrays and get / build a line array.

a point source appears to be good for up to about two 15" woofers.  anything over that seems to require more than one compression driver.

Edited by Line Array - 29 June 2022 at 5:42am
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>