Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFA 10K vs Void Infinite 8 MK2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFA 10K vs Void Infinite 8 MK2
    Posted: 14 July 2022 at 11:46am
Void 8Mk2 amps, are rarer than Rocking horse poo, these days, so may need to consider FFA 10K instead.

Requesting feedback from people, who have used this amp, on systems playing Roots Reggae/Dub with Scoops.

Had bought PL380s for this purpose, but they are mains thirsty, and K20 is beyond budget for just 4x cabs.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 8:05pm
no opinion as i've not used them

but i'm selling a pair of FFA 10k's - pm me if interested
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 3:59pm
Played ffa 10k on 4 Ligwa minis fane col 1000 loaded (not xbs) and was dropping nice. Heard injection with 50 loaded rx18s on the  ffa10k and was pressure, sounded very solid. Thinking of getting 1 myself as ive had the pl380 previously.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

Played ffa 10k on 4 Ligwa minis fane col 1000 loaded (not xbs) and was dropping nice. Heard injection with 50 loaded rx18s on the  ffa10k and was pressure, sounded very solid. Thinking of getting 1 myself as ive had the pl380 previously.

This is why I started this thread here..

That kinda feedback.. LOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 4:31pm
Once i load my 1200i's i'll arrange to test 1 i think. We've both seen them running 8 drivers even off of 13a plug so we know they're stable at low impedances, and they did bench very well. (Which isnt real world but still) 
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 11:13pm
I heard an FFA 10k powering 6x PD1851 scoops three per side, it did the job but sounded a bit...dry in the tone department, switched over to a JTS UA6 and it sounded a lot more grunty and warm sounding, this was off a single 16amp socket.

N.B I own an inf8 mk2 and run four fane XB loaded scoops off it and it sounds fantastic, have to be careful with the power though as it can be quite easy to blow XB's with too much power.

Edited by Aurora - 21 July 2022 at 11:38pm
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2022 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Aurora Aurora wrote:

I heard an FFA 10k powering 6x PD1851 scoops three per side, it did the job but sounded a bit...dry in the tone department, switched over to a JTS UA6 and it sounded a lot more grunty and warm sounding, this was off a single 16amp socket.

N.B I own an inf8 mk2 and run four fane XB loaded scoops off it and it sounds fantastic, have to be careful with the power though as it can be quite easy to blow XB's with too much power.

Powersoft K20, powering 4x PD1852s, watch current meter.

EDIT:Big Transformer amps like JTS UA6/Crest 9001, have piles and piles of smoothing caps, to ease strain on mains, during heavy bass notes, but then, depending on sophistication of the inrush current limiting, you are more likely to take out breaker on switch on, if your power source is humble domestic ring main.

Obviously, Rog did sterling job on Inf8 MK2, as it does great job powered off Consumer ring main/13A plug, and ever better on proper power.

To get full performance from Big Lightweight, you need proper 3 phase mains.

Edited by levyte357- - 22 July 2022 at 9:08am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2022 at 7:47pm
The characteristics of a torroidal cant be matched with smps but at the same time there are a gd few lightweights that still sound great when used with a decent preamp. 
kickdust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickdust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 2:31am
3 phase... To run amplifiers... You guys got to be kidding me
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 6:56am
Originally posted by kickdust kickdust wrote:

3 phase... To run amplifiers... You guys got to be kidding me

Why? I’d much rather carry around a 32A 3 phase cable than 3 runs of 32A single or even 63A single. Much lighter, much more efficient….
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 7:10am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

EDIT:Big Transformer amps like JTS UA6/Crest 9001, have piles and piles of smoothing caps, to ease strain on mains, during heavy bass notes, but then, depending on sophistication of the inrush current limiting, you are more likely to take out breaker on switch on, if your power source is humble domestic ring main.

Obviously, Rog did sterling job on Inf8 MK2, as it does great job powered off Consumer ring main/13A plug, and ever better on proper power.

What you really want is PFC. This can reduce power requirements by 30% making considerable differences when running on smaller than ideal supplies.

With the exception of X series Powersoft which are designed to sit across all 3 phases, the only advantage of 3 phase is in terms of power distribution efficiency, not amplifier capability. Any supply sufficiently large not to experience voltage drop or over current protection will yeald the same audio results.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 8:59am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

What you really want is PFC. This can reduce power requirements by 30% making considerable differences when running on smaller than ideal supplies.

With the exception of X series Powersoft which are designed to sit across all 3 phases, the only advantage of 3 phase is in terms of power distribution efficiency, not amplifier capability. Any supply sufficiently large not to experience voltage drop or over current protection will yeald the same audio results.

Seems not everybody is a fan of PFC:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>