Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One way bass options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One way bass options
    Posted: 01 August 2022 at 1:51pm
Not usually a fan of these posts but I could do with some opinions on the best way forward. 

Current rig is 4 hogs, 4 cubo kicks and 2 MM acoustics axios one.

The top section is a dream, lightweight and sound brilliant but the bass section is becoming a bit of a pain to move around and would like to move to a more compact solution while maintaining similar SPL/Frequency response. Thinking either 3 doubles or 6 single bins that can go high enough to meet the axios one so looking to cover 35-110 kind of region. 

Budget 2k ish 
Capacity max 300
70% outdoor 30% indoor gigs
Powersoft K10 sub amp
Genres - Jungle, Techno, Old School Hardcore 

I did like the look of the ligwa 218 sub but the lack of any measurements/graphs makes me hesitant. Any suggestions are welcome 
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 4:33pm
BMS 18N862 in single bass reflex cabs (fitting a big enough port into a double cab problematic) possibly change amps as as sensitivity will be lower than the Hogs: https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c48bfc611126b0004ca12eb?_k=sledvb
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 4:44pm
I'd like to avoid reflex due to the loss of sensitivity really. If necessary I could stand to sacrifice some low end extension to maintain/gain sensitivity.
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 4:52pm
probably a tapped horn design then something like the TH118: https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/TH118-Specs-V3.0.pdf

This is an accidental clone if you read all the posts about the cone volume filler and implement it:
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by dnbpc dnbpc wrote:

I'd like to avoid reflex due to the loss of sensitivity really. If necessary I could stand to sacrifice some low end extension to maintain/gain sensitivity.

You have a K10. Sensitivity is not going to be a problem with 3 twin 18 reflex well designed and built.

The 862 is a lovely driver, but lots of money. The very plain, and hence often overlooked 18s430V2 is a superb option, which will produce copious amounts of tight, tuneful 35-120Hz in the correct enclosure, which will work in every venue, inside or out.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 6:33pm
I was impressed with the danley th118’s when I heard them to be fair and have a friend with xoc1s so could be a good fit.

I think the issue with both the reflex option and the xoc1s will be cost, with the price of materials at the minute plus brand new drivers I don’t think the 2k ish budget would stretch to the amount of cabs required and with the reflex being a more custom design and the xoc1s being a relatively rare design 2nd hand seems unlikely Cry
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Originally posted by dnbpc dnbpc wrote:

You have a K10. Sensitivity is not going to be a problem with 3 twin 18 reflex well designed and built.

The 862 is a lovely driver, but lots of money. The very plain, and hence often overlooked 18s430V2 is a superb option, which will produce copious amounts of tight, tuneful 35-120Hz in the correct enclosure, which will work in every venue, inside or out.

Likewise, Faital Pro HP1030 is a really good driver for the cost.

If you can get either of them right now, of course…

3x large, properly ported dual-18 reflex cabinets with enough peak voltage up their backsides will be plenty for 200-odd people.

Start with this plan & modify the dimensions to suit whichever driver you can get. It’s not a lot of wood either, especially compared to horns & the like:
https://www.eighteensound.it/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTgvMTAvMjMvMTFfNDBfMDVfMjI0XzE4c291bmRfMThfZHVhbF9zdWJ3b29mZXJfa2l0LnBkZiJdXQ

Edited by toastyghost - 01 August 2022 at 7:06pm
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 7:33pm

I'm assuming you're building them yourself with a 2k budget but you don't have to use high grade ply if you're careful about providing protective features like skids.  As long as you're own labor is 'free' then you should be able to produce TH-18 for around £350 a box which gives you 5 of them which should be very potent.
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 8:16pm
Ideally I’d be after 2nd hand boxes.

I’ve built cabs in the past when I had access to a workshop but even then it took a lot longer than expected and the quality of finished product was ok but nothing compared to pro builds. Now with what seems like less free time than ever I don’t think it’ll be something I’ll attempt in the near future.

A lot of the above look like good options but given the budget restrictions seem unlikely to be possible. 

Where are the all the cheap cabs that do 140db, weigh 50kg and fit 6 in a SWB transit LOL

Edited by dnbpc - 01 August 2022 at 8:18pm
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2022 at 9:11pm
F2B (lots of copies around) do well indoor and out and there's a couple of options for relatively common drivers. Or maybe look at joining the paraflex hype?
 Post Reply Post Reply