Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fane classic 18/300c 16 ohms newbie question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fane classic 18/300c 16 ohms newbie question
    Posted: 05 August 2022 at 11:25pm
Hi everyone new member here Hug

I've recently picked up 2 second hand 18inch scoops which I'll be refurbishing the cabinets as I want to build my own system the speakers inside are fane classic 18/300c rated at 16 0hms.
My question is does anyone have a spec sheet on these drivers as I can't seem to find any info also what would be suitable rated amplifier to drive them ? My apologies for the newbie question.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 8:39am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 9:23am
Welcome to the forum 

Probably wired two drivers in parallel inside the cab. This means the load gets halved to 8 ohms. 

For bass you need 1.5 to 2 times the wattage as a rule of thumb

Two 300w drivers is 600w 

so you need 900 to 1200w per cab at 8 ohms per cab.

Amps give more power as the load goes up so you may find it easier to daisy chain the cabinets (which assuming no weird cables or wiring puts them in parallel)

You would then require 1800w to 2000w at 4 ohms to run both cabinets

As you only need this amount of power to run both subs you could use an amp in bridge mode. This bridges the two channels of an amp to give just one output but at higher power. 

So you need either

900w @ 8R per channel

Or

1800w @ 4r bridged. 

That should give you the spec to start with. 

Whats your budget? Someone might suggest amps to look for if you post a figure. 

Soulmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 9:49am
Hi thanks for your reply it's much appreciated as regards amplifiers I have picked up two amplifiers up recently both for nothing one is a crown XLi 800
And the other is Dai300 series both have bridge mode function but obviously I need to check the specification sheet to check these are possibly suitable 

Edited by Soulmonkey - 06 August 2022 at 10:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 9:59am
Thank you 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Soulmonkey Soulmonkey wrote:

I've recently picked up 2 second hand 18inch scoops 
Single driver boxes? I think Jonb67 is assuming dual driver boxes.

With just 2 drivers to power any amp that can produce 1200-1500w bridged into 8ohms will do, that would be both boxes wired in parallel with each other. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soulmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 8:16pm
Hi yes two single driver boxes thank you for your reply.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2022 at 9:09pm
Thanks for picking that up conanski. 

Yes, i did mis-read it and think it was dual drivers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply