Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

opinion on 1 MT122 + 4 HD15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinion on 1 MT122 + 4 HD15
    Posted: 15 August 2022 at 2:59am
hi !

im planning to use
1 MT122 (2x B&C 12NDL76, 1x beyma CP800TI)
with
4x HD15 (PD 154) 2x2 on top of each other, curves open to the sides,
together as a monostack on a 4 day outdoorevent.
routing via ultradrive, amps crown /qsc.

since the HD15s specs say, that they go as low as 52HZ
im thinking about, if it could lack some bass.

music played: EDM, psy, dnb, reggae, metal, pop, rock
volumes 70% conversationlevel, 30% pedal to the metal.

what do you think? will there be enough satisfying bass or
should we add a hogscoop and use only 2 HD15?
i read, that if hornmouth are combined from several horns together,
they could play a little deeper than a single horn.

thx !
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 4:57am
Perhaps build W-Bins or Eliminator style? Stack of 4x martin 115 would produce brutal bass. 
1ManSoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 5:08am
i have 4 hogs /1851, more brutal with 4x18 is hard.
but hogs are heavy so we pick 4x HD15. even though that was not my question.

luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 7:08am
As you said they wont be playing anything below 50z so alot will be missing. But then the 51 isnt suited to the hog and alot of lower frequencies will also be lost due to the tight chamber and throat not being optimum for a 51. 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 8:06am
Depending on crowd size, 4 hd 15 PD loaded should be fine. Of course it won't create earthquakes, but a stack of four is not bad at all. When I started out, I had 4 x HD15 loaded with wimpy kappa 15LF. Played loads of reggae and jungle, was perfectly fine. Stack of 4 will definitely drop below 50 Hz, it will just be a bit less loud. If you play at moderate levels and not all out, you can even dial in a bit subbass with eq. But be careful though, long festival days will put a strain on ypur system. Make sure it gets a bit of rest once in a while..... 
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 8:58am
HD15s on sub, will never be fine for Reggae, DnB.
Even as a Mid bass cab, compared to others, HD15 is not impressive..

Freq resp of HD15.

Good luck trying to get enough sub out of that, to play DnB/Reggae, to discerning listeners, outside.

Also, Beyma CP800TI is a dreadful sounding comp, above 10khz, Beyma CP750TI is much better, and great outside, even on budget, large format horn, like Paudio PH-4525.

Playing outside is completely different to playing in small venue, mediocre system will embarrass you and your crew, and blown drivers, due to pushing system beyond it's limits will cause further loss of reputation.

If you don't have the budget to build system suitable for purpose, maybe better you hire in 3x 1850 Horns and  3x MT121s.

Will have to run the 1850 horns upto 160hz, but will still sound better than HD15s.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 August 2022 at 9:07am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 9:31am
Anyway, it largely depends on crowd size, and other factors. Without knowing the crowd size it's a bit pointless to give advice. Depending on context, Levyte's advice could be true, but under other circumstances you could be perfectly fine with the proposed setup.

1mansoundsystem, you need to provide a bit more information. How big is the crowd, etc.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by 1ManSoundsystem 1ManSoundsystem wrote:

i have 4 hogs /1851, more brutal with 4x18 is hard.
but hogs are heavy so we pick 4x HD15. even though that was not my question.

To go with your Hogs, build 4x ES18s, and 4x MT121s.

As long has all cabs powered suitably, with decent LMS setup, Industrial strength outside system, right there.

I have a video somewhere, of 4x Scoops, with 4x Boke kick cabs, and 4x MT121 tops outside.

Unintentionally, that 1x stack, drew a crowd of around 1200 people outside, and had them dancing past midnight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 1:23pm
damn......

crowd is 9 people. this is a paintballevent and we play for ourselves at campground,
maybe growing some people in the night. no crowd, no audience etc.
this the first time i can play the HD15 outside, so thats why i chose them over a 2.1 pa.
and bcuz i love horns.

i could add a hog or more HD15 but that wont make sense, bcuz our transporter has to carry a shitload of pb-equipment for 3 people and people want to chat in the evenings or in between. so just a slightly bigger festival-rack at the campground.

my question was all about, if the 4x HD15 can bring up a reasonable amount of bass or if it sounds
weird bcuz of a lack of subbass. now i got a first impressions and thats cool.

CP800TI vs 750TI: the 800 doesnt look too good over 10 khz, yep.
im not on a budget, would you recommend exchanging them for 750s, or hitting it with the EQ at ~15khz and ~17khz ?

i got 4 MT122s so that means exchange 4 CPs.

which kickbins would be better for that purpose of solely kickbass? my descision to build these was
bcuz i listened to them live and was blown away by that combo (4 hogs and 4 HD15, couldnt get to know which drivers they have been loaded with)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 1ManSoundsystem 1ManSoundsystem wrote:

damn......

crowd is 9 people. this is a paintballevent and we play for ourselves at campground,
maybe growing some people in the night. no crowd, no audience etc.
this the first time i can play the HD15 outside, so thats why i chose them over a 2.1 pa.
and bcuz i love horns.

i could add a hog or more HD15 but that wont make sense, bcuz our transporter has to carry a shitload of pb-equipment for 3 people and people want to chat in the evenings or in between. so just a slightly bigger festival-rack at the campground.

my question was all about, if the 4x HD15 can bring up a reasonable amount of bass or if it sounds
weird bcuz of a lack of subbass. now i got a first impressions and thats cool.

CP800TI vs 750TI: the 800 doesnt look too good over 10 khz, yep.
im not on a budget, would you recommend exchanging them for 750s, or hitting it with the EQ at ~15khz and ~17khz ?

i got 4 MT122s so that means exchange 4 CPs.

which kickbins would be better for that purpose of solely kickbass? my descision to build these was
bcuz i listened to them live and was blown away by that combo (4 hogs and 4 HD15, couldnt get to know which drivers they have been loaded with)

2x Hogs, 2x HD15s, 1x MT122 would be great.

For the future, 2x MT121s, sound better than 1x MT122, and easier to transport/stack.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 2:00pm
Also, you are far more likely to get away with a stack of 4x ES18s on sub down to 50hz, as opposed to HD15s.

But be aware, strong subby drivers for use in ES18, will not do anything nice over 150hz.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 August 2022 at 2:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 2:09pm
very unlikely that i dispose of the MT122s bcuz they have been an insane amount of work, ...and.. you know.... but i will keep your recommendation in mind. and yes, the MT122 are a pain in the ass to transport.~75kg a piece. Ouch

-------- a little OT:
our campingground will be ~20x20m 7-8 tents, 4 cars.
last year we had 2.2pa. 2x 12" thomann the box active, and 2x active subs fun generation
(15" 179eur/1pcs). the worst crap there is. i tried to keep them from spending so much money for this junk.... he bought 6 of these subs and is now is in the process to see, that i was right by telling him: save up, buy decent 2.2PA, and to regret but wont admit it, of course, now that he sees, that more and more of his subs causing issues. you know how things go......

the tops were bought used, age and usage unknown, and got a damaged gain-potis both the same night. one sub started to razzle n scratch at certain volume, the laptop couldnt be hooked up to the pioneer-mixer, our dj lost control, and he took one year, to appoint the failure to the software that suddenly wont work together with the mixer anymore. he said.  Stern Smile

thats why i will do the sound this year, my planning, my equipment, and im pretty confidend, we wont have those kind of issues again. i will report back about my impressions on the performance of the setup Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>