Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delay settings soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delay settings soundsystem
    Posted: 16 August 2022 at 12:05am
Hello,
I got 2 wbin 18inch speaker jbl 2242h (sub 37,5hz to 80hz)
Then i got 4 scoops 15inch with jbl 2225h speakers (kick 80hz to 250hz)
Then the tops are 2x jbl srx 715f (250-20khz)

What will be the best delay set up for this stack?
The wbins are 1,26m delay ,so i put it on the jbl srx 715f.
But what do i do best with de scoops?
Use them as a reflex bin,or use them like horn?

What would be the best delay settings i can use?

Would be great if some one could help me.

303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 12:06am
https://imageshack.com/i/pm0uNSzdj

photo of setup 
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 1:52pm
What LMS are you using?
303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 3:41pm
still using the DBX PA for setting delay en x over....
with 3 amps :-Berhinger ep2500 for tops 800w rms 8 ohm
                   -the t amp tsa 2200 for  the 4 scoops  parralell wired ,so 2x(2x 800w) rms 4ohm
                    -the t amp 4-1300 for the wbins 800w 8 ohm
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 4:07pm
It's best to measure to find delay, which will vary with position (changing path lengths due to acoustic sources not co-located).  I find for a mono stack like this a ground plane measurement 6-10 meters from the stack, centered, is a good point to align to.  The REW find IR delay function works well if the measurement isn't contaminated by reflections, the drivers are connected directly to an amp channel for the measurement and  the measurement bandwidth is broad.  E.G for a reflex sub I measured up to 1kHz.  
303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 4:18pm
Okay thx,will try that for sure,but we have this saturday a party so it will be later then.

We already did a soundcheck openair,and it sounded pretty good
So for this party we will use this specifications for the sound.

Later i will work with REW to fine tune al the system and time align everything like it should be!
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 7:09pm
Although not perfect, the auto EQ function of the Driverack is worth playing with. It's a quick way to set up the system in different environments. I'm not sure who makes the DBX RPM, but it can be found for a reasonable price.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 7:11pm
303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 8:16pm
Indeed can try that also ,but i have berhinger ecm800 mic
Think that that no problem I suppose.
303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 8:19pm
What would be de best mic setup for this soundsystem?
How far away,what position of the mic 90° or straigt to the sound system?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2022 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Although not perfect, the auto EQ function of the Driverack is worth playing with. It's a quick way to set up the system in different environments. I'm not sure who makes the DBX RPM, but it can be found for a reasonable price.

A set of EQ filters generated from an RTA measurement has nothing to do with time alignment. RTA is time-blind.

Also, be very wary of doing any alignment without the final low pass and high pass filters in place for each pass band. Those filters inherently affect phase (as does every IIR filter) so the alignment probably won't hold up once they're added in unless you're very careful to align the rise time — not the peak! — of quasi-anechoic IR data & then choose suitable complimentary electrical filters to achieve the desired target acoustic crossover.

That might not necessarily be achieved by setting the same corner frequency and slope type on both channels. Especially if you're trying to align a ported passband to a horn or sealed enclosure, for example.

If you’re always going to be stacking the rig with the grilles aligned, then at least you only have to do this process once. Assuming you don’t change the crossover values or EQ filters on the output channels of your DSP, that is.

Follow this article:
https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/en/study-hall/166-subwoofer-alignment-the-foolproof-relative-absolute-method

And/or this one:
http://www.excelsior-audio.com/Publications/Subwoofer_Alignment.pdf

REW would be my preference on zero budget, thanks to the delay synthesis tool & frequency-dependent windowing. It also has a good display of group delay as used in Charlie Hughes' guide.

However, it doesn't do real-time dual-channel FFT display like the Smaart software used on Merlijn's guide - but OpenSoundMeter does & is also free.

Make sure you verify all channels sum as expected with a measurement of the whole rig once you've set the delay values and filters. That step is often missed.

Edited by toastyghost - 17 August 2022 at 12:10am
303addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2022 at 8:55pm
Okay thx for this explanation!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>