Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying generator
    Posted: 03 September 2022 at 9:27am
Hi guys, 
I've recently acquired a small diesel generator for smaller events.
The generator in question has 2x16a out.
I'm wondering if it is in anyway possible to change this to a single 32a socket?
(I would be asking a qualified electrician to make the modification for me if it is possible)
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2022 at 9:40am
What are the specs of the generator? It may not be big enough to provide a 32a supply.
100% Earth Moving Bass
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2022 at 10:55am
As long as it was done safely and had the correctly rated breaker/wiring on it this would be fine. So if it’s a 5kva set then something like a 20a would be the one. Your sparky friend would be able to calculate the correct value to stop it being overloaded.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 03 September 2022 at 10:56am
blah blah blah blah blah......
hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2022 at 12:18pm
It's a pramac p4500, supposed 3.7kw.
Is this a pointless endeavour?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2022 at 1:24pm
3.7Kw @230v is roughly what you can safely pull from one of the 16A connectors. If you already have 32A cable and distro by all means make a step up adapter from 16 to 32A to take advantage of the larger cable
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2022 at 4:41pm
That's exactly my situation.  Much easier solution. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply