Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraflex in reggae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2023 at 3:54pm
Looks like Firmly Rooted and Sinai just had a nice comparable setup side by side, anyone manage to make it out?
JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2023 at 9:17pm
No, what do F Rooted run?
Im looking forward to taking my BP boxes over Sheffield soon though....
hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2023 at 9:44pm
Firmly rooted run polar bear scoops I believe 
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 9:09am
Its a sect, one gets banned if questioning  the 108dB 1w/m halfspace graph. Its utter nonsense to publish those numbers. 

Any decent 2x21" BR or Bandpass with less volume will eat any paraflex alive. Typcially, the best 2x18" have a sensivity of 101dB halfspace, a fullspace SPL of ca. 95dB 1W/1M 30-100Hz. 

The designs are mostly bad, a bad design is when your driver hits xmax way before receiving its power rating specs. Therefore, maximum SPL of a driver can simply not be achieved. 

We are ready to organise shootouts with any paraflex design, but people are shy, nobody has the balls to bring the toys, as anyone knows its going to be very clear which design is good and which is hype. 

Edited by turbo7 - 19 March 2023 at 9:54am
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 9:14am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

So forgetting about sims and plots, how does 1x21" paraflex, compare with a decent 21" Full Scoop,   32hz - 100hz !?

I know the outcome and its going to be a desaster for the paraflex, but there will be no proof at least here - nobody will show up with Paraflex 
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 10:34am
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

The designs are mostly bad, a bad design is when your driver hits xmax way before receiving its power rating specs. Therefore, maximum SPL of a driver can simply not be achieved.

Isn’t nearly every horn design ever like this? Certainly wouldn’t call them all flawed! If the db / 1w is high then surely that doesn’t matter as it’s just a different way of achieving similar levels?

Tbh to me the want for getting the most out of a small power supply far exceeds the want for soaking a load of power up into hefty drivers.

Maybe I’m missing the point? 

Not sticking up for paraflex as I am still yet to hear LOL
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 11:12am
It depends on the driver if it is suited for hornloading or not. 

If you got the best horn 18" you can find, it will not even reach its x-max with full power applied with a correctly matched scoop. 

Try simulating any of the best available drivers in a paraflex, its OFF. Technically speaking, a bad impedance matching just means no real but more imaginary loading of the cone, that is the case with paraflex at certain frequency(ies), that is the case with any cone loading below the horn cutoff, the excursion will rise but no SPL, because no loading. That is the reason one needs a highpassfilter with Subwoofers depending on the tuning frequency. 

Applying Voltage that does not contribute to power to SPL conversion but to heat... 

This is a general rule that applies for all subwoofers - if you can not put in the power rating of a subwoofer, already reaching Xmax - you will end up with less SPL compared to the one that takes the power mechanically ( and more.. ) 

Thats it, and any paraflex is welcome to get destroyed, i have a lot of respect for Sinai sound which is the only big sound i know who stands strong with his system, making him an example. 

I would not even be interested at all in Transmissionline derivates, but if the sect tells the world they got 108dB 1w/1m halfspace, this can not be ignored, too many people get fooled by this idiots, its simply a blatant lie, nobody is going to discuss it as one gets banned immediatly. 
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2023 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

Its a sect, one gets banned if questioning  the 108dB 1w/m halfspace graph. Its utter nonsense to publish those numbers. 

Any decent 2x21" BR or Bandpass with less volume will eat any paraflex alive. 

I would even prefer single 21" reflex over the paramess
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 6:46am
its no problem for me that people working with the bass they like, i have no bad feelings about paraflex at all, i like progress in any way, but the behaviour of people behind these projects is irritating. If the design is that good - why put out fake graphs and ban any discussion about it...

For comparison. This is the Gjallarhorn, a large tapped horn which is comparable in size with the CE2E. This is a groundplane measurement. 

This is the measurement of the L Acoustics K28 Bass, which is near the theoretical maximum of output of a 2x18" ported Bass. The industry standard, Full space measurement. If we recalculate that to groundplane, just add +6dB to the curve. If we compare that to the CE2 groundplane measurement, we learn that 2x K28, which is 4x 18", is still 1dB less in output at 50Hz. 

That is a lie. We are talking about 4x 18" vs. 1x18". 

This is one of the "official" groundplane measurements of the C2E: 

Edited by turbo7 - 20 March 2023 at 9:01am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

Scoops is an interesting example because even though they perform poorly on paper

Which is why some paper needs to be ignored.

Don't know why some still cannot accept, not all Scoops, are the same Fane, Eminence, JBL Design, from 50s/60s/70s, and some people know to tune/change/evolve an old design, to suit modern drivers.

In the real world, with all that's going on, and the number of people dying from war daily, Scoop vs Paraflex doesn't really matter.

Instead of all the online keyboard warrior lark, "many" would just require a Roots Reggae soundclash/dance, with very good Systems of both types, in large venue, with decent power, and each system having "8x" sub drivers each.

As speakers are designed to play music, and entertain.

I'll reserve my judgement, until one of the above occurs.

Edited by levyte357- - 20 March 2023 at 8:49am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2023 at 9:30am
When Matthew starts posting graphs / schematics that arent done in MS Paint, ill take more notice tbh
Norseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 5:52am
in response to the firmly rooted question:

polar bear scoops
es18bph
QSS midtops are their new ones

Edited by Norseman - 21 March 2023 at 5:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345