Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraflex in reggae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 10:12am
I'm a well known Scoop lover, but if I were being hired to do NHC carnival floats regularly, I'd probably be using 186 Horns with naughty driver, and neo loaded MT122s on top, easy money.

So as I say, Rig owner choices, don't always follow accepted wisdom. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 09 February 2023 at 10:15am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
vibes92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 10:52am
me personally, scoop all the way LOL

Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by Maze Maze wrote:

I've seen sounds go from scoops to paraflex, and not the other way around. What does that mean?

paraflex is a new design. notice the number of people NOT switching to paraflex

People don't buy a new car every time a new model comes out.

I'm running reflex in my humble rig. I'd love to have scoops, because I love how they look. To me it's the best looking sub of all time. I built one to test and I also loved how it sounded on reggae, but could see where it would come short on other genres compared to my reflex. Tbh, I've heard a system in Denmark that played with 8 (Jah Tubby) scoops and to me... that was a bit of a loud mess, very harsh sounding compared to the other sound that was set up that night. The other sound had something a forum member here built. I think it was 21" ported. Very warm and nice sounding bass, but admittedly not as brutal as the scoops, maybe brutal is not what I enjoy at the end of the day, I dunno.

I'm also very curious about Paraflex, and I'd love to hear them when I get the chance. I did built a Paraflex kick bin to try, but never loaded it with a recommended driver. And the whole project fizzled out when Covid hit.

I'm going of a tangent, the point is, a lot goes into the choices we make for sound, such as personal preferences, economy, what crowds we are playing, etc.

I think your argument is a bit of glass half empty kind thing. I see sounds on Facebook that have moved to Type O etc. from scoops and have been very happy with their choice. So I don't see why Paraflex could not be an option for a reggae oriented system.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 2:24pm
everyone in the world making bad decisions think they have made great decisions (done it myself). maybe paraflex are great but without any decent measurements or side by side comparisons it's just hype.
KaphaSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 1:52am
FWIW I posted this in another thread, attended the most recent SubDub which had Iration Steppas, Higher Meditation and Jah Youth going track for track in one room with MCs and Sinai providing sound with DJs going b2b2b and MCs in another larger room, plus a smaller half rig setup in another room. Right off the bat I can say that Sinai needed more headroom based on the content and also had 2 subs a side, whereas each dub system was never mixing 2 tracks at any given point and had 4 subs (I believe) in a single stack, so yet another probably pointless comparison.

Having said that, the dub systems all had that “floaty” feeling where the bass was thick enough to feel like you’re swimming in it and they also overloaded the phone mic until it turned itself off. The paraflex rig as others have mentioned from other gigs just didn’t appear to go as low or as loud, but having said that the energy from the crowd was much rowdier and lively in the Sinai room so to most if not all it wasn’t an issue and still a great show.

It looks like Sinai (Huw) has offered to host a proper shootout anytime, so it would truly be great to have a good faith shootout with a more traditional setup.

One thing I do feel that is worth mentioning is that this skepticism of Paraflex imo is largely brought on by the unnecessary defensiveness in the FB group and community like shadowbanning etc. Just the other day I saw MMJ bashing traditional designs again because you can’t physically touch the magnet to feel how hot they get, and fair enough thermal issues may arise sooner in FLH, but that’s not a real world comparison and feels like cheap marketing to those who don’t know better. So TL;DR what snowflake said.

Edited by KaphaSound - 10 February 2023 at 1:54am
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 2:16am
I've never seen "bashing" of other designs in the Paraflex groups. But there was a very detailed comparison between Iration and Sinai from when they played in the same room one time. You should be able to find it in the FB group. It was written by a fan of both Sinai and Iration and seemed very level headed and unbiased.

I think it's best to just go listen for oneself. I like reading different people's opinions, but it really comes down to personal preference at the end.
JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 7:40am
I've messaged Huw about taking my bandpass rig over soon, so I'll post here when I get a date, if anyone fancies bringing some boxes same day?
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 10:15am
I only mentioned scoops in some discussion on MMJ facebook and got banned , was a relief LOL
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 10:24am
Something else to bare in mind is not all scoops/boxes sound the same, and not all operators will want or shape the sound the same. 

A lot of folks could have a clean set, but look to create distortion. It's been quite interesting to see some operators who have come through playing 'raw' more basic boxes changing up and how they either adapt to the newer box tunings/set up, or find a way to create a newer/different presentation. I think that's what has been interesting about the talk on paraflex. 

It's never as simple as one box or another, or what single pre amp you use. So many variables, it really does come down to knowing what you want (sound/Freq) and trying to get it. 
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by King Simeon King Simeon wrote:

It's never as simple as one box or another, or what single pre amp you use. So many variables, it really does come down to knowing what you want (sound/Freq) and trying to get it. 

Like this.Clap

Also, is the System Engineer, suitably experienced and skilled,  to extract optimum performance and sound quality, from what he is using.

Many soundsystems, have given certain sub designs, bad name, by not fulfiling, the above.

Edited by levyte357- - 10 February 2023 at 11:09am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

I only mentioned scoops in some discussion on MMJ facebook and got banned , was a relief LOL

Was not my experience at all going into the FB group looking for a kick to put over my scoop at the time. There's quite a dissonance between these type of comments here on sp and my own experience on their site. I get that they don't allow people to critizise their designs on their own site, but that's what we have sp for anyway, a kind of neutral forum for discussing all speaker designs. But that you can't even mention other designs on there..? Lot's of people come on there like I did to find tops, kicks, or subs to combine with whatever other stuff they have or are planning to build. And I know a lot of the members there have lots of love for scoops and other designs.
JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 9:21am
"Just the other day I saw MMJ bashing traditional designs again because you can’t physically touch the magnet to feel how hot they get"

Ahhhh yes, lol.
For YEARS, folk have been asking him about thermals in his boxes, with him having NO IDEA or response, suddenly, he's posting a tonne on it, and chastising all n sundry, over a thing he's JUST finally seems to have grasped.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>