Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F2b vs f215mk2 - BPH vs FLH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:49am
You would need to try how it sounds that high up, but I doubt it will be good enough.
It would make a great combination with something like a PM90/60 which reaches down low enough.
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:19am
I probably espress myself badly. 
I want to use 
- S218 as infra between 27-80Hz
- midbass bin 80-220Hz
- Funktion one Evo6sh 220-20kHz

At the moment I have hd15 but they’re not recommended over 180Hz. 
Then I thought to build f2b that can go higher, but they are difficult and weight a lot. 
another user on this thread suggest me to use new generation reflex 15” to build a midbass enclosure. 
Does this possibility (reflex 2x15)actually keep up with s218 and Evo6sh? Even how many 15” I need to keep up with one Evo6sh? 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:51pm
S218 would do the job in that range. I personally have never used any dedicated mid/kick cabinets, so I can not comment on that one.
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:55pm
okey thank you for you answer. I didn't know impedance behavior of various speaker
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2022 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Besa Besa wrote:

so you are telling me that this S218 can't go higher and sounding good?
or because it's more a reflex than a bandpass it can go higher? 

The only way to find out for sure is to build and try. Looking at the datasheet, the s218 has HUGE output capability up to 250 Hz, before it dives down to its first, deep notch at 350 Hz. They provide CEA test data, which is quite nice, it verifies the actual real world output capability. 32 Hz and above it puts out at least 135 dB...... it keeps up this level of output all the way to the notch. 

So at least from the spl side of things, just looking at the data, you COULD probably run your system without kicks in theory. The only uncertainty is how it will "sound".

As others have pointed out, there is not really a "front chamber"the area in front of the driver is too open, although it certainly has some minor effect. The "chamber" is mainly there due to the flared port design. That is the main reason for the arrangement. I think that despite the fancy marketing talk, you can consider this essentially a  bass reflex.

There are no "rules" in the end, that you need a kick bin. The fact that you needed some in your previous system doesn't mean you will neccesarily  need them again with your new subs. Whatever works, works. Build the s218, and do some testing, audition it, see how it sounds crossed over straight to your evo6. If it doesn't work well,  then you can start to worry again. Keep it simple. 

You will certainly save heaps of cash if you find out you don't have to build and power separate kick bins......

Edited by bob4 - 01 October 2022 at 8:39am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2022 at 4:21pm
@bob4

Do you have a link to that data of the S218?

Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2022 at 6:37pm
@smitske96
If you go on eighteensound page, in “enclosure design” section, you can find several pdf of different projects with all of those datas. 

@bob4
I will update the post as soon as I get the s218 ready for the test 

Edited by Besa - 01 October 2022 at 6:52pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2022 at 11:49am
@Besa

I see I mixed things up with another topic, had the Martin S218 in mind.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2022 at 9:54pm

I probably espress myself badly. 
I want to use 
- S218 as infra between 27-80Hz
- midbass bin 80-220Hz
- Funktion one Evo6sh 220-20kHz

27-80 isn't infra, infra is 20Hz and lower. Common band ranges:
Infrabass  - 0.1-20Hz
Subbass   - 20-60/80Hz
Bass        - 60/80-250Hz
Low Mid   - 250-3/4kHz
High Mid  - 3/4k-8/10kHz
HF           - 8/10k-20kHz
Ultrasonic - 20kHz+
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 7:04am

@bob4
I will update the post as soon as I get the s218 ready for the test 

So, any news on this Besa? I thought I saw you mention in another thread that you have conpleted your s218 build?
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:35am
Hello bob 
I bought f315 with Evo6sh so I solved the problem in a different way. I use the s218 to go underneath the res3mk2 in other soundsystem. 
So I don’t need to try at the moment. If you need to try this configuration I can do for you.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 8:48pm
Hey Besa,

except for the original question and context of this thread (upper bass use) it would be nice to get some general feedback about the s218 (in this thread, or separately if you want).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>