Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vintage OHM fostex bullet tweeter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vintage OHM fostex bullet tweeter
    Posted: 13 September 2022 at 9:51am
Looking for advice on replacing these oldies. They are Fostex T950 8R 50W tweeter frm an ohm 3-way cab of unknown model. The cabs from the mid 90's resemble an early TRS cab, with 2 x 15in LF, a mid horn and this bullet.

It's fitted in front of one of the woofers and the magent almost touches the cone at the rear and the frame almost touches the grille at the front.

The client has tried a soundlab tweeter which is fried.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 10:13am
Hi Kev--It may be worthwhile getting in touch with Jo at OHM but they have now changed business name and phone no.
They used to have quite a stock of various drivers and HF units hidden away in cupboards as I think that they used to test every new item that came on to the market----Back in those days, they used a lot of Fostex bullets and HF drivers which were all pretty good and sounded sweet.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 11:51am
I haven't tried them but I think they're called KHZ Ltd t/a Omega Audio (gareth is the owner)

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 13 September 2022 at 11:55am
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 12:38pm
Maybe you could replace with a Beyma CP-22? A decent (modern) driver.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 1:08pm
I could do but they would just fall through the hole, these fostex are about twice the size.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 13 September 2022 at 1:08pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 1:59pm
I would be more inclined to place a small horn and 1” driver on a new support nearer to the centre of the 15” driver ( for clearance). This would be a better match for the dispersion of the other components in the cab, better for future parts availability and easy enough to accomplish.  
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I could do but they would just fall through the hole, these fostex are about twice the size.

Ok, difficult to tell from the photos.

I'm not sure what would fit then, but whatever will most probably need some metalwork being done. It's never easy.  Cry

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2022 at 5:31pm
I saw some at OHM a couple of years ago. Maybe they still have some. It looks like the new company have kept the same address. 

There's diaphragms in Switzerland

Fostex was ACR as well. Possible searching for ACR will get a better result. 
Stigbergets_Sweden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stigbergets_Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2024 at 12:03pm
Could this be the Ohm Br 30s cabinet? Full with Fostex drivers?
I have a pair and they sound absolutely wonderful.
No description available.

Edited by Stigbergets_Sweden - 02 January 2024 at 5:36pm
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2024 at 1:54pm
If i recall correctly Marcel Put of MPaudio/focal used them in his early focal systems. Might be an idea to try over here: https://www.facebook.com/share/8aDQW3gxxJFKTy5m/?mibextid=K35XfP

He was quit succesfull mid eighties till mid nineties in Belgium so these pop up frequently over there. 

Edited by Bams - 02 January 2024 at 2:00pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2024 at 4:29pm
This was 16 months ago! In the end I made an adapter plate and fitted some B&C bullets which just about went in.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Stigbergets_Sweden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stigbergets_Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2024 at 7:33am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

This was 16 months ago! In the end I made an adapter plate and fitted some B&C bullets which just about went in.

Do you have the old Fostex bullet tweeters still?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>