Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x MT122 + CW218

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x MT122 + CW218
    Posted: 21 September 2022 at 7:09am
I am very new with this line of projects. I have build two 1850 Horns before and I am fairly good with woodwork. 
I am considering to make my self a speaker system for garden parties and that sort of stuff. Private use in other words. 
My question is, would the combination of 2 x MT122 + CW218 be sufficient as a complete system? Or would I need more high tone? 
If so I would like your input on what drivers to use and what frequency divider to use?
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:30am
I suggest you not to use a horn loaded mid tops. MT122 have several disadvantages for the scope you aim to. 
- it weight a lot
- it has a narrow dispersion, so you need more than 2 for properly coverage and preferably you need to stack them ad a decent height, pointing them on the head of the people. You can't do this thing with only cw218. 

I've got 2x tham15 loaded with 15tbx100, I insert a mounting pole insert in the wood so I can stack 2 reflex 12"+ 1" tops on them at the correct angulation and giving the right stereophony to your music.
I make happy crowd up to 100 people party, charging all the sound system in the back of my station wagon. 

I think a combination like this could be the better option for you 
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:13am
It sounds interesting. 

Do you have an idea about where I could find the plans for the setup you suggest? 
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:19am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:51am
What kind of budget do you have?

A dual 18 will always be louder then a Tham15 and go lower in the process. Downfall is of course the larger net volume of the cabinet.
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:57am
Since it is a hobby/garden system and because I am still a beginner, I would like the drivers to be in the cheaper end. 
Maybe later on I will upgrade to more expensive units.

I have been thinking about downscaling some of the plane i have looked from e.g. 15" to 12". I did that with you 1850 horns down from 18" to 12", so it could fit in a portable wagon. 

The speaker system I am considering size wise is one that can play at a decent volume for 50 people max. The primary reason for me looking at the MT122 and the CW218 or maybe the 1850/186 horns is that they are challenging builds :) 
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:44pm
I had MT121. 
They are like a sniper rifle, aimed to throw far away. unless your garden is half of a football field I suggest not to build them. They are heavy, difficult to build, expensive and, IN YOUR SITUATION they will not sound as good as 12"+ 1.4" reflex with good components. I used mine several times at outdoor venue at about 2m height, you hear their best sound at >15/20m of distance. They were good, but they were in the situation for which they have been designed for. 
To be realist, lot different than yours.
to build a pair of mt121/mt122 you need about 3000€
- good 2" comp drivers (look at the price), they are expensive 
- wide horns, expensive too 
- lot of wood and skills 
To do a thing that, in your case, are useless, need 2 person to lift up on the sub and you can't put in a station wagon. 
I described my little sound made of 2x Tham15 and 2x orbit4s, I use it for working little size events. they are an all round bass bin.
You can build a 18" too if you have the way to carry it at your events.
you can build bigger subs, but, until you are a beginner, I suggest you not to waste your money in low-budget components and difficult build. 
it's better to invest in the right speaker for the right project, if you want to grow up, you build more bins.
front loaded horns are good in stack of at least 4.
think up 

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:49pm
Buy once cry once.

You can better begin with a small but good system and expand from there on out, then build a bad one and have to build something new in a couple of years. 

Depending on transport you can get away with bigger cabs by just using some wheels.
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:20pm
Thank you for the feedback. I have know idea about the ideal use of this type of speakers, so it is definitely great to get some advice from someone with experience. 
The Tham15 definitely look like an exciting build as well. And one that is both easier til build and scale. 
So to of those would work as my low.
For tops you use Obits 4s. I find it difficult to find any plans for these. Where could plans be obtained or do you have other suggestions on what could be used as mid-top / top
Best case scenario for me would be to have maybe 4 speaker in total. 
2 x Tham 15 as suggested
2 x mid-top / top
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:24pm
The definitely seem like a decent plan. 
Any suggestions on a setup if you were to pick 
2 x sub/horn
2 x mid-top/ top
?

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:27pm
@Rune RC

I have send you a pm.
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:30pm
orbit 4 is a speaker manufactured by an England designer. I bought them directly built from his Facebook page, soundgear.co.uk
there are lot of plans for 15" and 18", for your necessity I will choose tham15/tham18 or a riflex bin but they are bigger. Tham is a good compromise. 
for the top you have to establish a budget and then I suggest you to go to speakers manufacturer webpage, they give you lot of ready design with wood cutlist and EQing presets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>