Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x MT122 + CW218

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:48pm
Sorry. I do not seem to have received any. 
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 1:53pm
Awesome thanks. I think I will go for the tham15. I have already found some thorough plans. 
Can you point me to something that would go well with Tham? I would like to build it myself if possible. 
Last I build something we used a digital frequency splitter to split the sound. Would you build in an analogue one or would have an external one where you connected both sub and top, and then for there into the amp?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 2:15pm
Before you jump the gun. What are you exactly after?
-size
-spl
-extension etc

The tham is definately nice, but also really lacks in the lower end.

PS: You probably do not have enough points yet to receive and send pm's.

Edited by smitske96 - 21 September 2022 at 2:15pm
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 2:44pm
Maybe you could also consider this simple 18" BR:

http://lsv-achenbach.de/plaene/plan_sub18.htm
http://lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/plaene/pdf/18-195l.pdf

We have two of them loaded with this cheap driver from thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/de/the_box_speaker_185008a.htm

They work perfectly well (measured flat to ~50Hz by us, but i have no acces to the measurement at the moment) and are cheap to build. We use them for dry-hire and everything where we dont want to carry the big system. They are really a "bread and butter sub" and do everything you need them to do :)

These are ours:

Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:37pm
Well, first this is to do an exciting build, that at the same some can be used for something practical. 
Most of the time the system would be used indoors in a larger garage. 
But I am sending for a size that allows we to play a decent volume for a garden party at around 50 people. 
I probably won't extend but might build something new, when I get better. It is a hobby projekt and not commercial in any way. 
Ideally as I wrote earlier the system would consist of 2 subs or horns and then two tops or mid-tops. A three was system could also be an option. 

I am simply trying to figure out what would be the most suitable solution since I am new to this. 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:44pm
What kind of music genre would be the most prominent?
What kind of amplifiers do you have?
What is your total budget?

Edited by smitske96 - 21 September 2022 at 3:45pm
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:24pm
I personally listen to metal and electronica. I like a heavy bass. But listen to a lot of 60', 70' rock'n'roll as well. 
I do not yet have any amplifiers. That will need to be acquired. But I would probably go for a used NAD. But what do I know.
It is a low budget project since it will be my first. I don't have any specific figures. I am just trying to figure out what can be done. But let's say €700 for the drivers in total. 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2022 at 8:23am
In that case I would go after something that can go lower.
Tham 15 -3dB point is >50Hz. -3dB @35 Hz would be better.

With that budget in mind, I would buy some topcabinets from a manufacturer (secondhand). And build one good sub. Something like a SKRAM will definately be a good start.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2022 at 9:14am
"With that budget in mind, I would buy some top cabinets from a manufacturer (secondhand). And build one good sub. Something like a SKRAM will definately be a good start."

+1

I just picked up 4 of the old JBL EON 15 G2's for a silly price. A couple needed some attention, e.g. one burned out diaphragm, but still a bargain. And they still sound bloody good, despite their age. Two went straight into a small gig - with 2 15" reflex subs underneath they were fine & more than adequate to cover a small marquee.

Or, like I've said before - EV S/SX200/300 or similar can still hold their own, or even the DAS MI 12. Lovely cab.  Smile 

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:38pm
@Earplug

Exactly, the EV SX offerings are normally pretty good in the EU.

With such a setup you could always build a second sub (or three) in the future without loosing a previous investment (you almost always lose money on a DIY build).
Rune RC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rune RC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2022 at 11:01pm
Thank you very much for the input, but the primary reason for this project is the built. It doesn't matter if it gets more expensive on the expense of quality. I will probably never be as good as any manufacturer. 

What I would like is to build a speaker system that is all DIY that I can use for non commercial purposes simply to learn about the process and to have fun while doing it. I might consider to include used driver units to keep the cost down.. I might do a new build when I am better and sell the old off if possible.

Thank you for good suggestions on the subs. I definitely have something to consider, but what would you suggest for tops if I were to build them myself? Both for Skram and Tham? 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2022 at 8:30am
It depends on how much you want to learn/explore.
Some good 10 or 12 inch BR tops with would be a good start. You can design one of your own (with help of the forum) or just go with a suggested design from B&C,18sound etc.

PS: if you are interested, I have some some stuff for sale that could help you get started.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>