Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiss from driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiss from driver
    Posted: 18 October 2022 at 9:05pm
Hi

When I do some listening and tweaking in my living room, I can hear a hiss from my driver clearly. I would like to be able to listen to music like a hifi. My solution has been a 33ohm resistor to get it down but I would like to know if there is anything I could do, in my amp to get it down.

The driver is a B&C DE500 on a XT1086 horn and amp Amtech ASPL 6x100 an oldschool passive amp 6ch like new. Perfect for my diy living room rack.

I have read in a few threads here that if this accurse just turn down the levelnobs on the amp, but this amp does not have any…and the other amps mentioned was class D if that matters?
Is this true? 

I would really like to use this amp but is it old technology and I need a better one with higher s/n ratio?

Many thanks
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2022 at 9:13pm
The amp
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2022 at 9:18pm
You can use a potentiometer as it is a variable resistor. Very common in Hi-Fi passive crossovers to dampen the high frequencies. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 1:33pm
Turn the amp down like half way.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Turn the amp down like half way.

OP said "just turn down the levelnobs on the amp, but this amp does not have any…"
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 6:11pm
if the amp still hisses with a shorted input there is nothing you can do (the amp is generating the noise) apart from padding down the comp or getting a higher SNR amp (or lower power with the same SNR).

If the hiss is reduced when the input is shorted then an inline attenuator will improve SNR.  Your crossovers maximum linear output and the input sensitivity spec of the amplifier give you the optimal attenuation if you wish to retain full output capability.  EG. at home I use 14dB attenuators as my DSP can output +14dB more than my amps need to clip.  Without the attenuators I also hear hiss.
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 6:53pm
Thank you all for your input.

I will try shortening inputs to driver channel and a/b listen. If still hiss I know its the amp.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 2:19am
Originally posted by full speed full speed wrote:

you can t do nothing about that is the design of the amp and is common problem with compresion drivers that is very sensitive.

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

You can use a potentiometer as it is a variable resistor. Very common in Hi-Fi passive crossovers to dampen the high frequencies. 

Best Regards, 

Simply put. The Compression Driver is picking up the noise floor of the amplifier. This is a common trait when using highly sensitive compression drivers in your home. This is why, many will reduce the sensitivity of the driver with a resistor or potentiometer. That is the benefit of a passive crossover. 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply