Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gauss loudspeakers 4583F

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gauss loudspeakers 4583F
    Posted: 18 October 2022 at 11:23pm
i've got eyes on a set of gauss 4583F

i know nothing about the brand, let alone the model.

i must say i'm interested though, they look well made.

any good? worth getting? what sort of application would they suit?

only 15's i have are my X15 or HD15, feel sort of bad putting something vintage in my HD15s and battering some psytrance kicks through them mind :(
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 7:05am
I had a load of those "back in the day".

They were used a lot by Martin and I've also seen them in some Dynacord cabs from that era. Gauss were innovative in their use of flat alu coils, which gave a very high sensitivity for their drivers. They were definitely the "Rolls Royce" of the speaker world.  Smile

Unfortunately, the company were taken over and closed down, so recone kits for them dried up and in some ways they were also superseded by some modern drivers. Saying  that - if they are original - and not too expensive, still worth getting. 

I found this in my archives:-

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 9:31am
We ran those in JBL 4520's in the mid-nineties (allready oldskool back then) and one of the regrets i have is not hanging on to them. they sound soooo sweet. the combination of the drivers and cabs was a bit warm for many people but they took all the abuse we could throw at them and they never let us down.  
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 1:21pm
We used to use them in ASS built 4530 single scoops in the late 80s. They sounded amazing. My big problem was they kept sounding sweet when turned up to the point of failure. Didn't seem to give any sign of distress. Probably not such an issue nowadays with proper limiters.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:59pm
Have had a fair few of them over the years.

Always performed well. Gauss drivers were so good (but very expensive when new) that they priced themselves out of the market I think.

Very slightly smaller chassis diameter than most others, so good as a replacement driver where there is a rebated baffle and others will not fit.

Non-vented cooling so probably lower power handling than more modern drivers, although having taken some apart after failiure the voice coil is very substantial. (Low failiure rate).

Double spider design on the ones I had.

Could never find recone kits for them, so unfortunately after failiure they were got rid of.

Always had an idea of converting one of the chassis into a base for a standard lamp for my living room, but never got round to it unfortunately.

To my eyes the most beautiful speaker chassis ever made.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 2:06pm
Yes. From what I was told, they were bought out by the same people that owned EV - then closed in order to remove the competition. Really great drivers - while they lasted.  Cry

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 5:14pm
Used an odd-sized 4 and one eight inch coil, so any recone kit nowdays would have to be specially made, which makes the cost of dead one zero. I did find someone who reckoned he could recone them, but at £200 is bonkers, just go a buy a brand new PD1550 instead.
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 6:43pm
Yes - there is a place here that told me that they could recone as original, but asked for silly money. Not really worth it.  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2022 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Used an odd-sized 4 and one eight inch coil, so any recone kit nowdays would have to be specially made, which makes the cost of dead one zero. I did find someone who reckoned he could recone them, but at £200 is bonkers, just go a buy a brand new PD1550 instead.

Mike Cotter sold me my 'Pink Floyd specials' - 4583 bass cone with
an aluminium voice coil and always did my recoils - they were buggers
for the lead-out wire separating from the coil and when he was with
Cetec it was always a free recone I'm happy to say.

I was at Wembley LS having some EVs reconed, and saw that they had
a whole heap of Gauss being reconed at the time.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2022 at 3:20pm
Do you mean aluminium dust covers? They all had aluminium voice coils. That was the big Gauss innovation. I remember Mike explaining how fusing the alu wire to copper was extremely difficult and what set the Gauss brand apart.

And dust covers - some of the recone kits did come with the alu cap as standard, but I didn't really like the sound - especially for a PA speaker. Maybe ok for guitar or bass guitar cab, I guess, but I definitely not for me.

I always got Mike to just use a normal cardboard cap. And IIRC, he agreed with me on that one! I don't think he liked the alu cap thing either. Maybe because of their tendency to crack up & need replacing before too long.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply