Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Amp survery - Scoop System Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Amp survery - Scoop System Owners
    Posted: 03 November 2022 at 12:52pm
You own a Scoop System, play mostly Dub/Reggae, and use a bass Pre-amp/gadget.

Which amplifier are you using on sub !?

Obviously, we don't need to hear about amplifiers like Behringer, or other riff raff..

LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 03 November 2022 at 12:54pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 1:24pm
Recently bucked the trend and brought a heavyweight ca copy from China (yeah shoot me down) and so far happy with it's performance. Needed the same power as a 5k macro tech, and it seems to deliver.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 1:53pm
I run a reggae system
I play roots and dub 
still on the sae pxm1450(  that's the transformer model ), benched at 2300 at 4 ohm 40hz ,just tiny bit less power than the void infi but to my ears much flatter natural sound , have owned the crown vz and big crest and void but this is my current choice as its 2u ,modern( bought brand new )  ,more efficient  on a 13 amp feed than all the other mentioned , only sacrifice is it will not do 2ohm but I have run 3 drivers a side many times with 0 issues :) tho I am only running humble pd1850s I did try it on some b&C sw115 and sounded great but did need more power , only thing I will swap to is powersoft k20 ( wish i had got one in lockdown prices high atm :( ) or icrown 12000 under testing that sounded real nice and had more power than the sae ,I would say mc2 e90 as I love the sound but have seen it many times in red and just running 2 drivers a channel 
the cvr 3302 and admarks keep nagging at my brain esp for 900 quid to the door  but I just cant do it as this is tried and tested  
As a side note i also do fair few hire outs for drum and bass events had few good DJS on the system and it gets grilled for hours and hours from 9 till 5/6am  and never had any issue !! ( oh god should not have said that LOL
and take a breath that's me done :) 

Edited by paulus - 03 November 2022 at 2:05pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 2:32pm
Yes Paulus agree with almost all of that..

I had decided on QSC PL380, and owned about 5x at 1x point, but they really only go to town properly, on 1x leg of 3PH supply/genset, so sold them.

Powersoft X4L     - The Don, out of budget
Powersoft K20     - too pricey for 4x drivers
Void 8MK2         - Really want to go back to this, can't find any
CVR                   - Will never Touch these
E90                   - Lovely sound, also seen it clip 2x 8 ohm drivers per side
FFA10                - Contradicting Feedback
SAE PXM 1450    - Can't find any
Admark K35/K40 - More contradicting feedback
Lab Copies          - Will never touch these again

Edited by levyte357- - 03 November 2022 at 2:38pm
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 8:33am
I run PL380 and have 4 of them running up to 16 subs, only ever run them with 2 x PD1850 or 2 x V1000 per channel. Definitely have more grunt on a 3 phase supply but our normal voltage in Aus is 240 not 230 like the UK/Europe and we often come across venues where the standard 10amp wall plugs put out 250V-255V and voltage drop is not often a problem here, our mains is HOT.

3 Phase is much more available here than anywhere else I have ever lived, almost every venue has at least 1 tucked away in some corner, just have to make sure you have a long enough 3 phase cable.

I have played alongside a sound system using FFA10K on sub a fair few times and also heard them play a lot. He runs PD1850 in supers off the FFA10K and regularly runs 8 boxes off the 1 amp. Personally I think that is a very good amp, pretty much on par with my PL380's. Personally I would take that over a K10/K20 but that is mainly a tone thing rather than power limitations, never been a fan of the K series tone.

Other than the PL380, FFA10K, Lab 14/20Q, K10/K20 I have mostly used old heavyweights, QSC MX3000a, RMX5050a, EV P3000, MA5000VZ etc and the new stuff just has so much more power than the heavy stuff ever did.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 11:08am
Has anyone got one of the Elements Audio K1600? Looks to be the upgraded version of the SAE PXM1450 with a bigger transformer and more smoothing caps. Considering trying one out, though currently run a void inf8v2 and it sounds fantastic across four fane xbs.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 12:04pm
8 scoops sound, 4 loaded with pd186/2, 4 loaded with voids v18-1000 (yeah I know mismatched drivers, please send €€€ to my paypal if it triggers your OCD)

used to use EV p3000s 8 ohm (1xdriver per channel 8 ohms), => best sounding bass my sound has ever outputed, but carrying 120kg of amps for 8 drivers was just not cutting it, not enough at all for 4 drivers an amp.

Now we are on matrix amps (1x xt7000MF and 1x xt10000MF, 2 drivers a channel in 4 ohms ) and I like the deep clean tone they deliver and the weight/rack space savings !!! I only use peak limiters and no rms limiters so I never dared to push them to right under the clip as we can't really afford recones and on paper they could easily fry all of the drivers, on reality I doubt it but I can't afford destructive testing.

For small gigs (4 scoops or less)  I tend to take the EV P3000s on the v18s and not worry about their clip leds when playing angry ... never broke a driver and gosh I love that early clipping bass sound !!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Aurora Aurora wrote:

Has anyone got one of the Elements Audio K1600? Looks to be the upgraded version of the SAE PXM1450 with a bigger transformer and more smoothing caps. Considering trying one out, though currently run a void inf8v2 and it sounds fantastic across four fane xbs.

I think the climate change police, are considering banning Void 8 Mk2s, so maybe you should sell it to me!!

LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 07 November 2022 at 1:11pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I have played alongside a sound system using FFA10K on sub a fair few times and also heard them play a lot. He runs PD1850 in supers off the FFA10K and regularly runs 8 boxes off the 1 amp. Personally I think that is a very good amp, pretty much on par with my PL380's. Personally I would take that over a K10/K20 but that is mainly a tone thing rather than power limitations, never been a fan of the K series tone.

Wondering what's max current, anyone ever seen FFA10 pull?
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 2:30pm
well i know someone who uses the elements amp and he runs 3v1000s scoops a side off it without issues ,he sold his crown vz5000 for it and hasn't looked back :) 
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 3:10pm
Yet another K20 "like" China amp for consideration.

Jury already out on Admark, K35/K40, but China manufacturer I rate in top 5x, is Sinbosen.

Waiting for price quote on this: ( I would hope for 50% of rated power on sub)

Edited by levyte357- - 07 November 2022 at 3:16pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2022 at 12:18am
same design as the admark/morin/cvr amps with some differences in fans and cap ratings. but sinbosen are offering a 3 year warranty - best I negotiated out of the others was 2 years.

Why choose Sinbosen D2-3000 D4-2000 digital amplifier compared with other companies (sinbosenaudio.com)

BTW bottom right image on that page shows a sinbosen badged amp with the 220uF Samxon caps found in cvr amps rather than the 270uF nichicon they say they now use.

Edited by snowflake - 08 November 2022 at 12:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>