Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact Amplifier
    Posted: 09 November 2022 at 2:07pm
I'm after a compact amplifier that can fit in one section of an ikea kallax unit (13" maximum width) so its hidden away nicely. 

Needs to have a decent bit of power behind it as it's powering a pair 16 ohm volt fr220.1

I've been using a matrix ukp500 while they've been in the basement but needs to look a bit neater now the decks are in the living room. 

Any suggestions?
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 4:11pm
Sounds like a Hypex NCore module in a hobby case would be ideal. Shouldn't cost crazy money, either.

Example: https://kjfaudio.com/product/hypex-ncore-nc400-mono-block-amplifier-diy-kit/I

Edited by toastyghost - 09 November 2022 at 4:12pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2022 at 4:46pm
How DIY do you want to go? 

I have used these for several projects:-

Modern version of the classic Hitachi module from the 80's. Sound good and pretty much bomb-proof, but you will have to build/buy a PSU for the thing.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 7:16am
Both look like pretty good projects, I kind of like the idea of the DIY route but I reckon I'll struggle to find the time to actually finish it. 

If anyone knows of an off the shelf solution for similar kind of money that's probably the best solution. If not it's time to dig out the soldering iron!
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 9:33am
There are quite a few plate amp things out there, easy enough to search.

The Hypex modules look good, but are expensive. Finding something affordable - and reliable is the thing.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 10:04am
Blue Aran's Jam Q3 also available from Soundgear as the Jupiter J4 is made up of 4 sperate amplifier/SMPS units.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 10:24am
Quad 405? That must be that sort of size. 125 (good) watts
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
dnbpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnbpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 10:40am
The Quad looks like it would do the trick but is 1cm too big Cry
Pick & Mix Soundsystem
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 2:31pm
extron XPA, often available cheap on ebay: https://www.extron.com/product/xpau3502
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 6:09pm
Shame about the Quad 405 being just too big.

The Quad 405's replacement the Quad 606 will just fit. But they are expensive.

The 405 looks good value for money secondhand, and is beautifully made. Several for sale on ebay btween £250 to £300.

Maybe time to buy a new shelving unit.
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 7:25pm
I think the size of the Matrix you've been using is about right. I used to use the newer 1u Matrix for mine and that was good.

Is there a Lab Gruppen Lucia in the right power range? They have quite a lot of options. I bought one myself SH but it was DOA and had to go all buyer protection on it so never got to try it.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2022 at 11:49pm
QSC SPA2-200? Not sure how it would go driving a 16ohm but great little install amp, passive cooling and can be hidden just about anywhere.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>