Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ortofon Pro S on a 1210

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ortofon Pro S on a 1210
    Posted: 13 November 2022 at 3:06pm
Ive just invested in some Ortofon Concorde (tonearm mount version) with Pro S for my 1210s. the thing is, when i tested them on my Vestax PDX2000, i got both channels of sound.

Yet, when transplanted to the 1210s, im only getting one channel (R), form both decks.
The 1210s themselves are fine, as i get both channels when i use Shure carts, so its a cart issue.
As far as i knew, cartridge wiring is universal isnt it, for the screw on carts.. ??
Or, if not, can u take a Concorde apart? As in remove the black body from the silver screw to get to the wires, and in fact are the wires movable?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BigSoundNorthWest - 13 November 2022 at 9:28pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 3:27pm
likely the sprung contacts in the tonearm are stuck - try some lubricating switch cleaner or some graphite from a pencil.

or some carts aren't a tight fit in the tonearm collar and you need to gently rotate the cart clockwise or anticlockwise as you tighten the collar up.
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 7:56pm
The pro S is a stylus.  What cartridges to you have , the OM type that you mount to a headshell or the the concord type with and SME type mount that connects straight to the tonearm ? 
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by billso billso wrote:

The pro S is a stylus.  What cartridges to you have , the OM type that you mount to a headshell or the the concord type with and SME type mount that connects straight to the tonearm ? 

ahh sorry yeah, well spotted..

Concordes mate, the long thin ones , no headshell ..

(original post edited too)
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 9:39pm
OK that that takes out a few options.as Snowflake previously said making sure the contracts are clean is the first thing to check.then get a small screwdriver or similar so you can carefully poke in and out the pins at the headshell end of the  tonearm one at time and make sure they are returning freely. Its not unknown for people to have replaced the tone arm cables on a 1210 and got the wiring wrong but lets hope its not that. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2022 at 10:33pm
the wiring on the 1210 tonearm is fine, as i say in the first post, my shure m44gs are working perfectly.
ill have a clean of the contacts hopefully thatll be the case.
cheers
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2022 at 6:51am
Concorde can be a bit tricky on a sl. somehow they managed to have the connections not optimal alligned and only work properly if anything is functioning 10/10. I'm with snowflake. the springs are mostly the culprit, if one sticks a bit the connections will be lost. 
xsav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:14pm
Highly likely something along the lines of what Snowflake said.

If you’re local to Chertsey, Surrey, we can sort it free of charge.

brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 7:59am
if you look at the size of spacing between the pin outs on Ortofon and an original Technics Headshell

Ortofon Pins are way too small, about 0.8mm, so they don't actually make a very good connection, i've had brand news decks have these issues.. OM best option IMO

but as above, give them a clean !
error 404
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 9:49am
Originally posted by brokenjoe brokenjoe wrote:

if you look at the size of spacing between the pin outs on Ortofon and an original Technics Headshell

Ortofon Pins are way too small, about 0.8mm, so they don't actually make a very good connection, i've had brand news decks have these issues.. OM best option IMO

but as above, give them a clean !

I've always wondered whether a spot of solder on each pin would solve this.
xsav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 10:19am
Wouldn’t recommend for two reasons, they are spaced apart with plastic that will just melt, secondly and this applies to any cartridge, especially Orotofon where it’s built in and can’t be removed, any solder heat will damage it and the audio will be severely compromised.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by xsav xsav wrote:

Highly likely something along the lines of what Snowflake said.

If you’re local to Chertsey, Surrey, we can sort it free of charge.

Lancashire based, but thank you for the offer .

Post Reply Post Reply