Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skytone Amplifier (Chinese amps!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:50pm
Technology from USA, counterfeited in P.R. China... LOL

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:29am

For many of us that have been in the industry for decades, we need to keep in mind the now generation are going to gravitate towards more Chinese orientated amplifiers as, it is more common than, the old iron core we grew up on.

It reminds me when the old folks would say valve amplifiers offered better bass than transistor amplifiers. Their opinions never steered the market away from Transistor Amplifiers. Evolution super-cedes everything.

The majority of Chinese Amplifiers are copies of something else. If you are a puritan, that is not going to help you buying amplifiers from China. Focus on what is reliable. Levette already mentioned the ones that have a history of reliability.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 11:59am
I can assure you the inside of a Macrotech looks nothing like that ha.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2022 at 12:34pm
its about 12kg lighter as well LOL
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 7:46pm
Quote Adopting Original ON Semi MJD340G & MJD350G high-class-special-used triode transistors
LOL

Btw, any audiophoolers on Speakearplans.com ? Wink

Btw, Dave nailed it back then.

Edited by M4trix - 25 November 2022 at 8:15pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by M4trix M4trix wrote:

Btw, any audiophoolers on Speakearplans.com ? Wink
Audiophoolers/Audiophiles biggest weakness = Aesthetics LOL 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 25 November 2022 at 8:18pm
Elliot Thompson
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Possibly the ratings are based upon burst for, the Electrolytic voltage they claim cannot offer such power long-term.

Best Regards,

I contacted Skytone and asked about the conditions of their power rating tests. The reply I got was that they were "long-term sine wave". The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Possibly the ratings are based upon burst for, the Electrolytic voltage they claim cannot offer such power long-term.

Best Regards,

I contacted Skytone and asked about the conditions of their power rating tests. The reply I got was that they were "long-term sine wave". The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID

Remember, what a manufacture considers long-term and the user considers long-term are not always the same.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2022 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID

They never heard... 'Google is your friend' !? LOL
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 8:32am
Think 1x page ago, we ascertained this is not one of the Chinese suppliers to consider.

Maybe we could make better use of the bandwidth, by discussing Chinese suppliers/units that are proven.

Seeing as discussing amps that are stable on 2 ohm stereo is so distasteful here, maybe we should discuss 1u Chinese amplifiers, that are great on sub at 4 ohm stereo.

Edited by levyte357- - 05 December 2022 at 10:44am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 9:16pm
Buy direct. The Admark, CVR, Morin and, Sanway have stores on Alibaba. This is China's eBay. 

There are plenty of small sound systems in the States, South America and, the Caribbean that are using the above brands at 2 ohms per channel with no problem. 

However, you won't find those who are using larger sound systems or been in the industry for decades sporting 2 ohms per channel. It just doesn't make sense to burden these amplifiers with such a load. There is nothing to gain. The price of these amplifiers are ridiculously low for the amount of power they deliver. They are very light in weight and, are one rack space. 

I have no idea why they are not popular in England compared to other parts of the world. Many have gone to the trouble to step up their line voltage from 105 - 120 volts to 208 - 240 volts in order to feed them over 200 volts to attain optimum performance. No one is going to go through such a procedure if the amplifier brands listed above where incapable of offering optimum performance. They have already proven themselves year after year. 

Of course, you are going to have some idiots that are going to try to operate such amplifiers on 105 - 120 volt line source and have piss poor results. However, since England standard voltage is 240, you need to weed out those who are oblivious to the ohms law much less less having the basic understanding of troubleshooting. More times, the error is the user and, not the unit.  

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 December 2022 at 9:24pm
Elliot Thompson
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 10:06pm
Well said Elliot.

I personally would only use Void 8MK2 or Powersoft at 2 ohm.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>