Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative to Fane 18XB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamballaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative to Fane 18XB
    Posted: 05 December 2022 at 4:34pm
Greetings everyone

Currently running Fane 18XB loaded superscoops on an infinite 8 v2 and mostec preamp.
Have noticed that these drivers don't like to take a lot of power, as we have burnt the voice coil on a few drivers twice now.
So I was wondering if there are any drivers that can match these drivers soundwise, but are able to take more abuse. Not very interested in PD1850/51/52 as we don't really like the sound of those.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2022 at 5:09pm
You have limited options with Superscoops..

Void V18-1000 & B&C 18TBX100s maybe your best bet.

If you want to the option to play the latest  modern drivers, my Lev .44 Scoops, are what you need !! Big smile

Especially with your amp and Pre.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2022 at 9:32pm
Ive  got superscoopers, I have run xb's and pd186. If I were to replace the xb's, the 186's would be near the top of the list. Warm deep and musical.
The best heaviest drivers in the supers I've had personal experience with was the 1851mk1. Moved a lot of air, and nice tone. Afaik the current 1851 is different from the mk1 

Edited by valve head777 - 09 December 2022 at 9:35pm
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Twinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 11:06am
Hello DamballaT,
thank you very much for asking this question. I am also very interested in this subject.
Best wishes
Axel
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2022 at 11:19am
With XBs you have to make sure your HPF is set properly, they only have an xmax of 7.5mm so play around with the 30hz knob on the preamp a bit, they sound warm but they are fragile so to speak.
 Post Reply Post Reply