Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What size Amp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"What is this way of connecting/linking boxes on exterior called?"

I'd call it a PITA!  LOL

As already noted, series is really for connecting inside the cabinet, very common in guitar cabs, where you might have 2 or 4 speakers linked up. That could be a mixture of series/parallel, depending on the ohmage of the speakers, eg some guitar speakers are 16 ohm.

For PA, it would be more common to have 2 or more cabinets linked (in parallel) with short jumper cables.

I think the penny has finally dropped for me yay Party got there in the end!

Another question:

RX 22 - Tweeters x4

(Can’t find much info on the Fane or Altai I have)

https://peavey.com/rx-22-ct-driver/p/03616190

QSC USA Amp 850

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/qsc/usa-850.shtml

Would this QSC amp suit the PV RX22 Tweeters I have?

PS does PITA stand for ‘Put It In The Amp’ ha!

Edited by SnailSpace - 13 December 2022 at 12:00pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2022 at 1:08pm
The 850 would be perfect for the 22's/HF in general. It's a lovely little amp.

PITA:-  Put it Where it Fits!!  LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2022 at 1:18pm

Perfect! Ha I’m on a roll! Such a shame you can’t upload photos/drawings I imagine this conversation may have not been so long ha!

So that’s Tweeter Amp, Speakers connected, PV BW amp sorted - I think I’ll give you all Christmas off before I get into the Crossover ha! That does seem like some witchcraft!
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 12:20am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Perfect! Ha I’m on a roll! Such a shame you can’t upload photos/drawings I imagine this conversation may have not been so long ha!

So that’s Tweeter Amp, Speakers connected, PV BW amp sorted - I think I’ll give you all Christmas off before I get into the Crossover ha! That does seem like some witchcraft!

Use imgur, imgbb or something similar. Ask Google for picture hosting for forums.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 1:57am

Such a shame you can’t upload photos/drawings I imagine this conversation may have not been so long ha!

You can but there are limitations to the file size and resolution.

KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2022 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

SnailSpace what connectors do you have on the back of your speaker cabinets? Do you have a output/link socket on them as well as the input from the amp? Are the sockets/connectors the same on the back of your cabinetsb or are they random binding posts, speakons, jack's or xlrs? 

+- Banana Plug Binding Posts on x4 of Jamo's and +- Jacks on the x4 Boxes with Black Widows in. I will eventually change to Speakon.

Ok as said elsewhere it will help if everything has speakon on it. No idea why your using those jamos. Those are some badly made hifi lofi speakers. Jamo made some truly dodgy stuff and we're so lazy they literally stapled drivers to the chipboard like the dome tweeters on yours.  Maybe ok for DJ monitors at a school disco. Sell them to someone who doesn't know any better (misguided nostalgia vaule) and get your self a pair of cheap ev sx300,bargain on eBay etc. Those and the JBL boxes should make your life easier and sound better. Give you a better foundation. 

Edited by KDW32 - 15 December 2022 at 11:19pm
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2022 at 7:50pm
Reading all this hurt.

An easy into for you into pa world would be to sell your speakers and buy something cheap to get you started.

For example, Peavey hysis tops are very cheap, not the best sounding but still cheap.

You can also pick up the twin 15 bass bins for next to nothing or look for a pair of single 18 bass bins and a pair of 12 inch tops. You could use a simple crossover for that and not need the more complicated dsp. 

If you want my opinion, do not buy inuke amps, use the money and buy better second hand amps, like the qsc 3602. Or the older rmx the 2450 would be fine for a pair of single 18's as you could do what you talk about often, run it in bridged mode. 

Or find a pair of twin15 mid tops and just use those full range for now adding dedicated bass when you can afford it. With the twin 15 you would only need 1 amp and no crossover. Just an eq 1 amp and 1 pair of speakers and they can normally be tweaked to sound ok. Obviously no massive thumping bass, unless you can afford something like the nexo msi tops. But I have not seen any of those since I sold a pair many years ago.

Edited by midas - 17 December 2022 at 7:52pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 8:45am

preferences/warnings on these, which would you choose? - DBX DriveRack PA, DBX DriveRack 260 or dB-Mark DP28 +. Which I have saw all at a decent second hand price but I have also seen the DBX DriveRack PA2 is IOS/Mac compatible which appeals as it’s what I have, it also has great reviews!

I saw the DP-Mark was recommended over the Behringer DCX2496.

I was also advised to get a DSP with ‘variable crossover frequencies and a phase button in order to flip the phase’ I can’t see the mention of phase on the DBX drivers lack does it have one? Is it called something else?

Edited by SnailSpace - 20 December 2022 at 10:24am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 1:22pm

I was also advised to get a DSP with ‘variable crossover frequencies and a phase button in order to flip the phase’ I can’t see the mention of phase on the DBX drivers lack does it have one? Is it called something else?

All of those DSP's will allow you to vary the crossover frequency and to flip the polarity of each output if needed. They will all also allow you to delay each output as needed - normally, this plus polarity flip & correct choice of crossover shape and order should be enough to get the phase lined up.

A more advanced way to fine tune the phase is with "all-pass filters" (Edit to add: or continuously variable phase control). The Behringer DCX2496 & dB-Mark DP28+ do offer this feature; the 2 dbx models you mentioned do not FWIW.

Edit - thanks Smitske!

Edited by DMorison - 20 December 2022 at 1:30pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 1:25pm
Since when does the dcx offer all-pass filters?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 1:30pm
Sorry, I was mis-remembering what they call their continuously adjustable phase parameter. Post updated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

All of those DSP's will allow you to vary the crossover frequency and to flip the polarity of each output if needed. They will all also allow you to delay each output as needed - normally, this plus polarity flip & correct choice of crossover shape and order should be enough to get the phase lined up.

A more advanced way to fine tune the phase is with "all-pass filters" (Edit to add: or continuously variable phase control). The Behringer DCX2496 & dB-Mark DP28+ do offer this feature; the 2 dbx models you mentioned do not FWIW.

Edit - thanks Smitske!

Thanks! (By the way is there an easier way to Thank people as I see on peoples profiles a thanks counter?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>