Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig Link Up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rig Link Up?
    Posted: 26 December 2022 at 12:46pm
Hi there, wishing you all a very Happy Christmas.

I'm here with a newbie question!

I've been asked to be part of a rig link up in the Spring.
I'm up for it, but I'll admit, I don't really know what one is.

The way I see it:

My rig joins up with another one or two rigs making a big big franken-rig. I imagine this would be a pain to wire up and program, but a fun process.

or...

My rig sits in the field alongside a bunch of others, I play what I want, they play what they want. Like at UKTek right?
Can imagine this would be pretty jarring for the crowd there, to be honest.

What should I expect? Something else entirely?

Cheers.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2022 at 1:53pm
Try asking the people organising it maybe? We can only speculate here. They should have an idea in their heads how the link up is running.

Edited by KDW32 - 26 December 2022 at 1:56pm
hectorberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hectorberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2022 at 2:27pm
I would assume you will be simply be placing your systems next to each other and playing the same material. One frankenstack could also work but is lot more effort for little gain.

If they have a spare dsp channel, use it to send a fullrange signal to your dsp's input.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2022 at 3:02pm
Link up is (usually) used to describe a situation where all systems set up and play the same source material. Unless the venue is massive (and potential audience is to) it’s a bit of a silly idea but an interesting way to compare different stacks/systems. As mentioned before, making a frankenrig can look quite cool/silly but often has little value beyond that unless all cabs are the same.

The other thing with this is you’ll probably only get a slot for one or two of your dj’s. The other option is a multi-rigger where systems set up individually and play there own stuff. Again, this needs a good sized venue and crowd. If there are already a few systems in for the link up, suggest that you do a second separate system. It may be smaller than the multi monster but you’ll have control over how it sound from an acoustic and content point of view.  If you put the bar next to it, you’ll do well.
blah blah blah blah blah......
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Link up is (usually) used to describe a situation where all systems set up and play the same source material. Unless the venue is massive (and potential audience is to) it’s a bit of a silly idea but an interesting way to compare different stacks/systems.

Interesting (& fun) perhaps, but pretty much objectively useless since it’ll be impossible to avoid listening to the contribution more than one system at a time, regardless of where you stand.

You could space the systems out by several metres, measuring from each stack to the next based on centre to centre to try and reduce the overlap in coverage, but that kind of goes against the primary functions of being visually impressive to the punters & a social event for the rig owners.

I've also only ever been to one link-up event where each system was properly time aligned to the others, and it took me all bloody day

That's even worse when the systems are indoors.

Just something worth remembering. Seen lots of folk write off certain boxes, amps and the like based on this sort of thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply